Those that groom your own - where do you do it?

Cockers4Ever

Owned by
2 cockers
My house is teeny and I dont have space for a dedicated grooming area/room. But I dont want hair everywhere. I try to do it outside in the nice weather but it gets hard in the winter. Lately we've been having alot of wet weather so I cant do it outside. My bathroom is too small for my grooming table unless I stand in the tub ;)

I do mine in the basement. Hair does get all over especially with Hoshi's fine coat. I take a slicker brush to him before I get started to limit the hair flying all over. Just like you I try to trim and blow dry him outdoors during nice weather.

Ditto the great outdoors. Cordelia has long standing grooming , so oftentimes I just groom her sitting on my bathroom floor. And my bathroom is tiny! I try to pick up the handfuls of fur as I go.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I have my grooming tables in the garage. That is where I do my grooming.

I have a fairly large laundry room (used to be a bedroom) and that is where I groom. Before I bought a grooming table, I used the picnic table on the patio (still do in nice weather) or the dryer with a sheet over it.

I used to attempt to groom my dogs myself. This is what always happened.
1) I really didn't have the proper height table so I used something in the garage or the floor. My back ached, the fur was everywhere. It was a big mess. I would have to have several extension cords which got tangled and were a pain.

2) I could not do a decent job. They always looked like poor step children who had haircuts behind the barn. I would get nervous and tired and just wanted to get it over with.

3) I went thru several sets of clippers. I always had to stop and oil the clippers cause they would get clogged and then I would get oil on the top.

4) The dog and I would be tired, grumpy and I would have dog hair all over me and my clothes, my shoes, in my hair and mouth.

50 I finally decided the groomers were trained, had the right equipment, had experience and certainly earned their money. I haven't tried to do it myself in about 10 years and my dog and I are grateful.

I can't even cut a straight line, so I bring Teddy to a groomer. He just got his summer cut this week.

We have a smaller house and invested in a portable grooming table with a loop arm on it.
We are getting Fiona used to being groomed. Rather, I must say that my sister, the hairdresser, is getting the puppy used to being groomed. We can now get her to stand for 20 minutes at a time. She is incredibly patient with her. I am a hazard with scissors with my own hair. For the common good, I do the combing, the ears and the teeth but rely on my sister's skill set to manage the coat.

Back