EYE DRAINAGE

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
Teddy has some eye drainage that is mostly clear to cream color the last few days that he really never has had before. Can that be a food intolerance or maybe the weather indoor and outdoor as it is very dry here with the heat being on most of the time. I just keep wiping it away, but is there something else I can use or try for this?

From the sound of it it could be irritation for various reasons. Is he rubbing his eye? I would use a artificial tears like Systane and wipe his face with a damp paper towel.

I use Systane daily and it reduces the amount of gunk on Hoshi's face. See a vet if it doesn't improve.

Could be lots of reasons, I use artificial tears also. Just make sure they are preservative free. The gel or ointment stays in the eye longer but be sure to wipe the excess off .

If its new drainage, you might want to take him to the vet jic. But make sure his hair is properly trimmed. I've noticed my dogs get runny eyes when their facial hair gets too long and irritates their eyes. :(

We have had a very mild winter (sorry to those in the ice & snow still) and an early spring (64 on Sat, whahho) with the tree pollen being very high right now. I have noticed that Buddy's eyes are a little more runny and after gardening a little today I noticed that my eyes were a little irratated. I would try the eye drops to flush them but if the discharge thickens or gets greenish in color then maybe a trip the vets might be in order.

Eyes are fine now. Thanks for the suggestions! Chuck has red eyes now and started licking, but I think since all the snow is gone and it's getting warmer, it's seasonal allergies.

Back