Hi from the UK

Eve

Owned by
1 cocker
Hello everyone.

I would like to say I joined the forum feeling happy but it is with a sad heart after losing one of my Cocker spaniels. He was 13 years old, my Blue Roan English Cocker who meant the world to the whole family. He was such a happy dog with a bottom that bounced from sode to side all day every day from the happiness in the wag of his tail.

He sadly passed away from secondary epilepsy. He developed epilepsy when he was 9 and we've controlled it really well with meds and him having maybe two or three fits a year on the meds and we'd learned not to panic and how to help him through over the years. This secondary epilepsy was something else though and it broke my heart watching my poor boy going through that.

The reason I'm here though is because of my second dog. He's the younger of the two being just a year younger at 12 and he was the dominant of the two. He also latched to me right from a puppy and I never understood why because being disabled I was never the care giver. My husband always fed and walked the dog but he would growl at my husband if anyone came near me and it caused a few problems over the years. We have had behaviourists come and see him and have worked with T-Touch and were told that sometimes breeds are so finely bred it can cause problems in some dogs and we were advised to euthanise him by the behaviourist, T touch and the vet...none of them could reach any trigger or anything to find out why he behaved the way he did.

I couldn't do this. He does have some happy times but always on his terms, the rest of the time he just chose to stay with me. He literally doted on me.

Since the death of my first dog (2 weeks ago) he's been very quiet and not really bothered with me at all. He just stares out of the window which just breaks my heart thinking he's waiting for My other dog to come home. (They both used to do this if one went to the vet without the other).

My dog has changed. He even growled at me and I actually thought he would attack me had a not stood my ground and turned sideways to him and not looking at him at all. I was stuck in the corner of the sofa with him and I could feel him going rigid, I knew he was going to attack me, so all I could do was hold his muzzle shut which he didn't like at all and made he get off the sofa and to stay down. He has stayed down, but he's different with me and I don't know what's happened for him to have changed like this?

He has never showed any aggression toward me at all ever but now....I just don't trust him. It hurts so, so much missing my first dog and now losing my second dog to some degree. I can't risk him being up on the sofa anymore so ive had to keep him down on the floor, so I no longer get that closeness from him and it just makes the grief of losing my first dog so much harder.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get my dog back how he was?

Since I overpowered him and put him on the ground it's like he wants nothing more to do with me. He normally goes to bed in his bed in my room, but he's now chosen to sleep downstairs with my husband. (My oxygen keeps hubby awake at night).

So I'm at a total loss what to do. How does. An old boy change so much? I can't have my first dog back, but I'd really like my second one back if anyone here could be so kind as to offer any help at all.

I never meant my intro to go this way, but once I started i couldn't stop and I had to give a small part of what I and my dog are going through right now, so apologise for this being so long.

Hello Eve, welcome to the forum and, I'm so sorry for your loss. I imagine that your younger boy is also grieving. I'm sorry I don't have any advise for you with his change of behavior. I hope someone here will. His change in behavior towards you is very problematic I wonder if speaking to your vet about this or a dog behaviorist might help. I know they did recommend you put him down before but maybe if you could get them to just consider the change in your household and the fact he's now grieving. I hope you can help him.

Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing seeing a behaviourist. I'm not happy about his recommendation but he is a professional. I'm not sure what to say. You could get a second opinion with the possibility of a better alternative.

Many thanks for your kind words Polly and Manuel.

I think I may take your advise Polly and have a behaviourist come see him again, I had discussed ths already with my husband and he thinks we'll just be handing money over for them to come to the same conclusion as last time. But, he's worth the money to at least try I feel.

Funnily enough my husband has just brought my cup of morning tea up to me with my dog jumping up to say hello as he always has done before going for a walk with my husband with my napkin in his mouth to give to me. I stroked him but couldn't afford to let him near me as I always have done in the past and he just looked so sad that I kept him at arms length. It was nice that he came to see me wagging his tail though, it gives me hope that he's still in there somewhere - I just don't think I could ever allow myself to fully trust him again :-(

I'll see how today goes. My husband is off to work soon and he normally stays with me and brings the post up when it arrives and helps me with little things like getting my socks whilst I'm dressing. I just want my dog back along with the trust. It's an awful feeling not knowing how to interact with you own dog.

Maybe you should try a different behaviourist, and, hopefully one that can teach you to see your dogs language, and look at the situation more positively. Good luck. :heart:

Reactions: Eve
Thank you Polly, great minds think alike, that's just what I'm thinking of doing.

I also think I'll have him checked over by the vet too, just incase its anything medical that could be causing this change in his behaviour. He's really just not right.

He came to me earlier and lifted his paw to me as he does when he wants a cuddle, but he was raising the paw very tentively. It was like he was battling with himself in his head, he raises his paw for a cuddle but he didn't really want it. It's very strange indeed and I'm very wary of him. He is however still working for me, getting things for me and shutting the door and things, it's just when he stops.... It like a switch going on and off.

Ive been reading up a lot on this and apparently being dominant over the dog is a thing of the past and you just have to reason why the dogs behaviour has changed. I know it's nothing ive done and the only thing to have changed in the house is the loss of my other dog.

So ive placed a cushion on the sofa as a saftey wall between us so he can't get past that to my face (being disabled I can't get away), but I can maintain talking to him and still interact with him but maintain my safety too.

I also think I would have your vet check your boy over just to be safe. It does sound as if he's greiving your other dog. Dogs can't really understand what is going on just that his buddy is missing and probably that you're upset but he might think that you're upset with him and not connect it with his missing brother. I think I would also connect with another behaviorist and maybe get your pup back into his routine as much as possible. Dogs feel secure in their routines.

Back