Crusty Nose

KatnPete

Our puppy (just turned 3), Wally, has a nose that had turned crusty /peely during the summer. It hasn't necessarily gotten worse, but it definitely hasn't gotten any better. We tried Vaseline, but he kept wiping it on the furniture and rugs. Any idea what it could be, and remedies?!

Attachments

• 20151004_201159.jpg
    20151004_201159.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 9
This is normal especially if your dog spends a lot of time outdoors as they have their nose to the ground sniffing things. It doesn't look too bad. You can take a lot off during their bath. Take a warm wet washcloth and dab it on their nose. Let it soak for about 10 minutes and a lot will come off with the washcloth. Keep using the Vaseline. It'll help too.

My brown cocker spaniel had the same problem. Her nose would get so sore that she would stop playing if a toy or hand touched it. The Vet called it Idiopathic Nasal Keratosis. He said to put Vaseline on it, but I didn't like her licking "petroleum" jelly all the time. It was messy and didn't work that well, either. I found an organic compound that worked, but it was grainy and hard to apply. I finally discovered Nose Butter made by The Blissful Dog. It worked wonders without making a mess. Their website has before and after pictures.

You can also try using olive oil. It only takes a drop or two and is harmless if licked. When Maggie was on so many meds near the end her nose was awful and this really helped to keep it from cracking.

Chase has that and a little olive oil worked well. I tryed coconut oil but it doesn't work as well. I rub it in well and use just a drop or two. Chase has it because of his thyroid issues

Back