How much flea shampoo do you use?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I didn't see my regular brand flea shampoo so I bought Zodiac which I've liked in the past. But the directions don't make sense.

Apply 1 1/3 tablespoon shampoo for each 5 lbs of pet's weight.
This comes out to be a lot for Hoshi (4 ounces)! I've never used this much flea shampoo ever! Let's check my math.

Hoshi's weight = 30 lbs (roughly)
30 lbs ÷ 5 = 6
1.33 x 6 = 7.98 tablespoons (almost 1/2 cup)

I honestly believe this is a mistake. I ended up using 1 medicine cup--that was enough to lather him all up. I wash him with regular shampoo before hand. I googled the shampoo and this woman on Amazon said it killed her 2 Dobermans.

Last edited:
Do you use a topical flea prevention Manuel? If so I don't think I would use both that and the shampoo. There is also a oral flea prevention that was recommended to my DD that is suppose to be good for 4 months. It was recommended by Buddy's Dermotologist.

You're right. I shouldn't. These fleas are aggravating though.

have you ever tried food grade diatomacious earth? (DE)? I bought a big bag from Wolfpack Ranch years ago and I'm still using it and flea free. Kills other types of bugs too. I put it in a shaker bottle and shake it around the house, on the floors, in crevices, on the furniture where the dogs sleep and on the dogs themselves. I do it at night and in the am I brush the dogs and vacuum. I also give it with their food - about 1/4 tsp a day a few times a year to prevent parasites. Again, you need to get FOOD GRADE - not pool grade which is toxic.

The only thing to know is to sprinkle lightly or it will clog your vacuum

20 Mule Team Borax (from the soap isle) can also be used in the same fashion minus the feeding it of course. I used to use that when I lived in FL.

The only flea/tick preventative I've used in at least 10yrs is Halo Purely for pets flea/tick dip which I make up in a spray bottle and use on the entire family - canine & human. And the DE.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 3 bags of it at home which I planned to use just for that purpose then had 2nd thoughts. Have you heard of a disease called sarcoidosis. I can't find anything on Google linking it to diatomaceous earth but if this stuff is fine and sharp enough to cut up insect skin what's preventing it from doing the same thing to our lungs? I'm afraid of breathing it in if it's around the house. Forgive me if I'm totally wrong about this.

I'll look into the borax soap and Halo Purely. We really need to vacuum our rugs better. I'm not the best housekeeper.

A quick google search shows 1 study where there was a plant in the town that makes the DE. Honestly, I dont use it nearly enough for it to be a concern for myself. If you are, you could wear a mask though. basically, I sprinkle on the floors and sweep it into the cracks and put it on the surfaces where the dogs sleep - couch, pillows, bed and sort or smooth it in so its sort of ground into the fabric. I do the same on their body - a bit of a sprinkle then rub into the fur concentrating on the belly which is where I find them if my dogs get them. Its fairly dense so I dont feel like its floating around in the air that much.

So for ME I think the risk of using shampoos/topicals that are known to be toxic vs something that Might be cause something at a high dose is worth it. But I can totally see going with 'the devil you know' so to speak.

FWIW, vacuuming will suck up the flea eggs so if you vacuum daily and keep some DE in the bag or freeze the bag, that will eventually get rid of the fleas.

I do vacuum nearly every day but I think you'd have to be alot more thorough than I am to get rid of them that way..... :)

Back