Looking for a good groomer

Joanne

Hello,

I am the mom to 3 cockers ( 13 yr old black,1 1/2 yr old buff and a 8 mth parti). I had been using the same groomer for 5 years and recently had my girls in. I was in shock when i picked them up. they were unrecognizable. The girl i had spoken with upon dropping them off had repeated to me what i had asked . ( take their legs down by half, and a general tidy up) for Christmas. when i got them she had shaved their legs down to nothing their skirts were gone , everything. When i asked what the hell happend , she looked shocked and said that's what you asked for. i told her to look at her notes and she did .She says to me after reading them "OPPPS" i must have forgotten what i wrote." Hence needing a good cocker spaniel groomer that is in the Surrey , Langley, White Rock area. ( will travel further ). PLEASE let me know if anyone can recommend a good groomer.

Thanks ,
Joanne

Hello Joanne. I googled a few groomers in your area. You could look up local cocker spaniel breeders in your area for recommendations. Your groomer didn't give the best response but it could've been an honest mistake. It sounds like you were satisfied with her up until then or has she made mistakes like this before?

I agree with Manuel.. Also, is this groomer the shop owner or an employee? If an employee, I would let the shop owner know what happened and why you
will not be back.

You might try grooming yourself also. There are many videos available to guide you as you learn. Investing in the proper tools will really pay off.

I have to laugh when I think of how I found our last groomer. Our beloved groomer had left for California and I was doing them myself. I, on the way to my mom's often saw a lady walking a lovely little red cocker boy, who was nicely groomed. One day I finally made a u-turn and pulled up next to her and asked who groomed her dog and did she love that person? I think she was ready to mace me at first (crazy lady is what she thought) but gave up the name of the groomer. I went to her shop and watched through the window to see how the dogs were handled, how she groomed and then went in and made an appointment for my girls I was never sorry.

I agree that if this was just an employee who was maybe young and didn't know how to give you an apology, you should go and talk to the regular groomer and talk to them. If you still get the feeling that they just didn't care start looking for a new one. The good news if the fur babies are OK, as distressing as a bad hair cut can be it will grow back and they will make sure never to make that "mistake" again.

When we moved here I didn't know any groomers. Then Dylan came down with mange. We went to one stupid vet who treated Dylan's "allergies" and of course he only got worse. In desperation I called other vet offices until someone could see us that day. The vet diagnosed the mange and Dylan began to heal. Dylan's skin got back to normal but he was partially bald and overgrown at the same time.

I asked my now beloved vet for some recommendations for a groomer. He gave me a couple of names and I went and looked at their shops, observed them, and talked to the groomers. I chose Julie. I took Dylan in and when I picked him up I cried. I took in a strange half bald dog and she made him look like a cocker spaniel again. My dogs have been going to that shop for over 13 years now now. There have been a couple of times when one of them has gotten a not perfect grooming but I talk to my groomer and usually there is no need because she tells me the reason. For instance once an ambulance started up its siren right in front of the shop and Farley jumped just as Julie was scissoring.

Suggestions:
1. If you've previously been happy with your groomer, talk to them. Find out what went wrong and how they can assure you it won't happen again.

2. Ask your vet or your dog trainer. Dog people know each other and if they don't know one they might know someone who does.

3. If you see a well groomed dog, ask about their groomer.

4. Attend a dog show in the area. There again if a cocker owner or handler doesn't know a good groomer in your area they might know someone who does.

5. Use google.

Back