Working Cocker Spaniels?

CiElBie

How Many of you are familiar with the working variety of Cocker Spaniels?
They appear to only exist in the UK, but im not sure.
We get a large number of them where I live, more so than regular English Cocker spaniels. They appear to be more like springers than cockers, probably because this type was never bred for show

Lilah_smaller.jpg

working_cocker_brown_II_resized.jpg

resized_cocker_spaniel_running.jpg

They do very well in agility too, and are very popular in the sport! They even make it to the UK agility team! These videos here have some cocker spaniels competing.
Times: 2:00, 7:28
Times: 2:07

This variety doesnt seem to exist in America, so I was wondering what you all thought of them?

Last edited:
I think in the US they are referred to more often as 'field bred'. They exist. I have mixed feelings about having 2 varieties. On one hand, when I was looking for an obedience prospect, I had more than one breeder tell me "Oh, you dont want one of my puppies - they're beautiful but dumb". SERIOUSLY! And I dislike that at the time, the top winning dogs had more hair than dog and had these teeny tiny heads that looked like they couldnt pick up a parakeet I think breeders should strive for the TOTAL dog - one who can perform in the breed ring or in the field/agility/obedience etc

But, otoh, I also know from being in dobermans where the issue is much more pronounced, that not every family is suited for a dog with strong working drives. Most people, (including myself at the current time) want, even NEED, a nice 'dumb' dog who doesnt need tons of mental stimulation. Most people dont want to live with a dog that is smart enough to need and defeat childproof locks, open doors or re-arange the the pantry.

So, I guess they have their place provided that the breeder is doing sufficient health checks and is actually breeding proven working dogs and not just using it as a gimmick to say 'see, I dont need to prove my dogs in the breed ring'

Welcome cielbie we have them here. They're pretty and I've only seen them at shows.
I think in the US they are referred to more often as 'field bred'. They exist. I have mixed feelings about having 2 varieties. On one hand, when I was looking for an obedience prospect, I had more than one breeder tell me "Oh, you dont want one of my puppies - they're beautiful but dumb". SERIOUSLY! And I dislike that at the time, the top winning dogs had more hair than dog and had these teeny tiny heads that looked like they couldnt pick up a parakeet I think breeders should strive for the TOTAL dog - one who can perform in the breed ring or in the field/agility/obedience etc

But, otoh, I also know from being in dobermans where the issue is much more pronounced, that not every family is suited for a dog with strong working drives. Most people, (including myself at the current time) want, even NEED, a nice 'dumb' dog who doesnt need tons of mental stimulation. Most people dont want to live with a dog that is smart enough to need and defeat childproof locks, open doors or re-arange the the pantry.

So, I guess they have their place provided that the breeder is doing sufficient health checks and is actually breeding proven working dogs and not just using it as a gimmick to say 'see, I dont need to prove my dogs in the breed ring'
I'm not that familiar with field cockers and this is the first I've heard them referred to as dumb. I get that's not what you actually mean. I didn't realize their personalities were so different.

I like the look of that second dog. And I watched the dog doing the agility. Liked that as well. I'm looking for an English, and the breeder I found I believe says they're field bred.

Last edited:
Welcome cielbie we have them here. They're pretty and I've only seen them at shows.

I'm not that familiar with field cockers and this is the first I've heard them referred to as dumb. I get that's not what you actually mean. I didn't realize their personalities were so different.

Sorry, I was unclear. I was meeting with breeders of show bred ACS and told their dogs were to dumb to compete with that I should look for a field bred dog.

OT: the updated forum looks good. It seems easier to read.

I'm truly surprised that a breeder would say that their show dogs are too dumb to compete in anything. We have and have had members here whose Show bred dogs have done very well in obedience, agility, scent trials, and, yes even field trials. There is a breeder with who has what I think is the all time winning Engie and their dogs have done extremely well in both show and dog sports and even hunting trials.

I think you haven't been talking to the right breeders. There is nothing wrong with wanting a dog from a field bred line but most show breeders are very conecerned with having beautiful well rounded dogs who can still do what they were originally bred to do.

Frankly I wouldn't want even a show dog from a breeder who told me their dog was dumb. Smart dogs do better in the ring and I personally like my dogs to be intelligent.

Back