Color Question about my new puppy

aclo_22

Hello!

I am very excited to get my new cocker spaniel puppy next week. I met her a few weeks ago and she was black with a bit of white down her belly and on her face. The breeder said she would be all black with a touch of white. But then her coat changed and it looks strange to me. Sometimes she looks black but then in the light it looks brown/whitish as you can see in the picture they emailed. Does this look normal or should I be concerned? The dad is brown and white parti and mom is buff. All the other puppies are black or buff. Actually the breeder said they have only ever had one other puppy with a similar coat. I have never had a cocker spaniel before so don't really know what to expect and I can't find anything that looks like this online. Looking for some feedback/insight on what color she will be as she ages and if this looks normal.

Thanks!
Ali

Attachments

• IMG_6137.JPG
    IMG_6137.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 62
No, she is definitely my puppy. I think she is super cute too. Just worried about her coat and her coloring. I am probably overreacting....

I am really am questioning if that is the same puppy. Although there is a slight look of sable on the right side, in the first picture, that puppy is black. The others look to be sable. Also there is no white spot on the right side of the nose in the first picture but the other pictures show a distinctive white spot by the nose. Puppies can change colors to a degree but I do wonder.

Welcome. That first picture may be overexposed which makes the pup look darker.

Thank you for your responses. It's interesting because I have seen videos of her recently playing with her siblings. She looks black but I can see her reddish brown-white highlights through the hair, almost as if a glimmer or at the root. Well, I'm picking her up Wednesday so I will find out then...

Hi I wanted to update you. I got my puppy and she is so pretty. She is mostly black with a white stripe down the belly. Her coat is a dark brown on either side and she has this thick black stripe down her back. I guess she is black and liver color. She also has a liver color above each eye almost like an eyebrow. Her coat will probably change over time. But regardless, I love her so it doesn't really matter color she is Thanks for all of your feedback! :)

Sure thing. I attached the photos I took today. The pictures the breeder sent me before I got my pup were varied depending on if it was her or her husband who took the photos. I think she had a poor quality camera on her phone because the coloring of Indigo's fur was more exaggerated as you can see in the pictures I previously posted. But these photos are true to her natural coloring. I don't know much about cocker coloring but I think she is beautiful....Naturally of course!

Attachments

• IMG_6226.JPG
    IMG_6226.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6231.JPG
    IMG_6231.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6233.JPG
    IMG_6233.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6213.JPG
    IMG_6213.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 36
When her adult fur comes in, it's possible she will darken to more black.
Were the puppies outside in the sunshine a lot? He fur looks like a sun-bleached black coat.

Regardless...she is a cutie

Thanks everyone :)

Actually when I first met her at 5 weeks she was jet black with the white on her face and down the front, which has not changed. She has not been in the sun, although I have read that can change one's coloring.

Back