My three Loves!

Marcia

Hello. My name is Marcia and I have three cockers.
Maurice (b/w/t) and Koko (chocolate and white) are both rescues and 8 years old. The new pup is Armani (b/w)and he is one. We are glad to find this forum.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 26
Welcome Marcia! Your dogs are beautiful. I love that picture of Maurice (1st pic). Which cocker is your avatar? Very beautiful as well.

Thanks. Blu is my avatar. He passed away last year. I miss him even now. I am searching for a female pup like him. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 10
Do you have a facebook page? I did not find it.
Sorry to hear about Blu. The Facebook forum is private. Give us a little more time to know you better and it shouldn't be a problem adding you. You can post now without approval. Personally, I prefer our site's forum more than Facebook.

Hi Marcia,
Welcome, I am sure your Blu was a very nice dog. You mentioned looking for another one, a female.
Blu is what we call a Merle color, not allowed in cockers. You see Merles more in herding breeds. Merles in cockers carry a host of health problems, such as blindness, deafness,to name a few. by looking for a breeder , you are condoning the breeding of Merles. There are several back yard breeders that will "breed" Merles. That also tells me that they are not doing their homework. Cockers do have inherited health problems like cataracts, some are carriers of PRA where the retinas will atrophy and they can go blind. There is hip displasia, IMHA ( also can be caused by vaccines). As well as other problems. Usually breeders will health test their dogs. Just make sure you ask your questions and are informed. If you were talking about rescue. That is great, there are many sweet babies out there that need a home. I see that you have rescued before, wonderful. Also rescues are spayed and neutered. Please do not buy an intact female Merle and intend to breed her.

Thank you for your information. I am not a breeder or a show person and I am open to all kinds of cockers. Since there are no guarantees to anything in life ending up as planned neither for humans nor animals I truly believe all living creatures deserve to have a loving family and be cared for during their life time. I do not agree or wish to support BYB's but if those pups are already on this earth, all of them deserve to have at least a place they can be loved and I just wish I could love and care for them all. I have been relativelly lucky with my dogs and they will never be dumped on a shelter again. Right now I am looking for a mostly white pup like I posted earlier today. Merle or not she will be adored and spoiled for the rest of her life. That is just the kind of person I am. My heart is large enough to care and love them.

If you buy from a backyard breeder who does no health testing, then you encourage them to breed and sell more puppies and the cycle continues. You perpetuate the generations of merle dogs with poor health. Please either buy from an ethical breeder or rescue a dog. Don't support either puppy mills or backyard breeders who don't do proper health testing.

I am not saying to not to let them live. I am simply saying to question the breeders don't just go in blindly. These problems do exist. You are lucky that your dogs are healthy. I do not support backyard breeders or puppy mills. When I see dogs or any animals suffering it pains me. I would take them all home in a heartbeat. I do show in
Confirmation. I had a litter of puppies, I kept one. My dog is health tested and I was very selective who I bred her to. I did lots of planning. My dogs are all spoiled and adored by me, they live in the house.
I wanted to add. Well said Karen.
Just be careful and please do not go in this blindly. Health problems are no laughing matter.

Your dogs are beautiful. Like you, my dogs are my loves, it really is as simple as that. I tell people don't let the extra set of legs and the fur coat fool you--these are my kids. I plan my social life in the good weather so I can take them with me as often as possible. Tomorrow when I wake up, the dogs will figure out, from my morning routine, that it is going to be a "mommy and us" sort of day and they will be dancing around from foot to foot and "smiling"---particularly if the weather is good (which it is supposed to be). If I went near a shelter, I would have 10 dogs (and no place to live) because I find it heartbreaking. Fiona is the first dog that I have intentionally went to a breeder to buy, but I do not consider her my "possession." The money that I paid to the breeder was probably more reimbursement for expense,(she spent a lot of money on her dogs and especially the puppies and veterinary fees because they had tons of health tests done on the puppies and the parents.) My other fur kid is a beagle which was given to my then-teenage daughter because the older couple that bought her couldn't deal with her. She was a deeply frustrated 2 year old field beagle that had many behavioral problems because they weren't meeting her needs with regards to exercise, socialization and training. Today at 14 years old, she is a fabulous dog and my very dear companion. We still visit her "grandparents" who tell me all the time that they cannot believe that she is the same dog. It doesn't matter how you get them---what really matters is the story that you write together afterwards.

It doesn't matter how you get them---what really matters is the story that you write together afterwards.

I love that quote Mel Blacke :heart_eyes:

Back