Biting nails?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I suspect Hoshi has been chewing his front nails because they look broken and jagged. A couple looked like they may have bled. I've never seen this before. He's been scratching a lot lately so I gave him a bath. I didn't see any fleas. He's scratching less since the bath.

Anyone else had a dog chewing its nails?

Manuel that's a new one! In all my years of owning cockers I have never had one bite their nails.

is it possible that he picked up something on a walk that is under his nails or on the pad under them?

is it possible that he picked up something on a walk that is under his nails or on the pad under them?
I don't remember anything like that. Usually when he gets something stuck on his paw he'll limp or stop walking. I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he gets better.

I've never heard of this either. Could one or more have broken,felt irritated, and then he chewed on them to try to make himself feel better?

I've never heard of this either. Could one or more have broken,felt irritated, and then he chewed on them to try to make himself feel better?
That could be. It's been a couple of weeks but I had been taking him on some 3-4 mile walks. It could've happened then.

Does he chew on his paws also and lick a bunch? Mine were doing this and it was yeast. They never chewed to the point Hoshi did tho. I started squeezing a lemon into water to rinse them with after a bath and not rinsing it off. This seemed to help. My vet also said soaking the paws in lemon water may help, I think it was 1t to a gallon. This was before raw food so it has been a while

Does he chew on his paws also and lick a bunch?
He was very frequently before the bath. He's still doing it but not as much. Thanks for the suggestion. It did smell like he had a fungal infection on his butt. The vet gave me an ointment and it seemed to have worked.

I found an excellent video about yeast infections in dogs by a vet on youtube "yeast infection in dogs" by Mercola, The vet talks about yeast being present on the paws. She also mentions that yeast problems being much more common in the warm weather because the climate promotes the problem. (I have watched Fiona like a hawk this summer because she had that problem when she was a puppy.)

I found an excellent video about yeast infections in dogs by a vet on youtube "yeast infection in dogs" by Mercola, The vet talks about yeast being present on the paws. She also mentions that yeast problems being much more common in the warm weather because the climate promotes the problem. (I have watched Fiona like a hawk this summer because she had that problem when she was a puppy.)
Thanks for the video. I like her. I remember her raw diet video. So Hoshi is off to a good start because he's already on a zero carb diet. Oh, I heard her mention oatmeal shampoo (has carbs) could worsen a yeast infection. @cockermom Dr. Becker recommendations also include lemon for yeast infection. Hoshi's feet are his main problem so I'll try Dr. Becker's foot soak:

Foot soak (as needed)
  1. 1 gal water
  2. 1 cup peroxide (may bleach dark fur)
  3. 1 cup white vinegar
  4. pat dry, don't have to rinse off

Back