Is she a cocker?

Lucy bird

We were sold our pup as a golden show type cocker. As she has grown we are beginning to doubt that's what she is as some things just aren't right...she is 9 months at the moment and weighs 14.5 kgs but is very slim. Her coat is really short she has longer bits on the backs of her legs that's about it. I actually think her legs look quite long... Her coat has also darkened a lot she's now more rusty. I really don't mind what she is but just interested to figure out the mystery... Massive thanks to any advice given.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi and welcome! She is beautiful. She looks like a red cocker to me.

Thank you for you reply Polly. Is it normal for the coat to be so short? She has never been clipped and doesn't need any grooming at all...or does the hair come in later? Would you say she was working type or show type? I know it's hard to tell from photos we were starting to wonder if she maybe had a bit of red setter in her. Pogs and Pye are adorable, love the names!

Welcome Lucy bird. She's a cutie. She does look like a spaniel. Her color is typical. The hair length looks a bit shorter than what I googled. Her leg length looks fine. However, she doesn't look like the English cockers I've seen at competitions: Heart of Michigan English Cocker Spaniel Club

She could be a field bred English Cocker (high set of the ears)crossed with another breed maybe? The face looks a little like an English Cocker to me but the hair on the feed and the general coat remind me a bit of a Cavalier spaniel. Most dogs do darken with age. Fiona was only black and white when she was born but the dark streaks started to appear by 12 weeks and since she has most of her adult coat, the black has gotten more noticeable. Your girl looks lovely, though. English Cockers should be fairly heavy boned to be considered a really good quality show dog and rather large...can weigh up to like 34 lbs. (Fiona is not at all heavy boned or large and that is fine with me---I actually wanted a smaller example of the breed).

Thank you for you reply Polly. Is it normal for the coat to be so short? She has never been clipped and doesn't need any grooming at all...or does the hair come in later? Would you say she was working type or show type? I know it's hard to tell from photos we were starting to wonder if she maybe had a bit of red setter in her. Pogs and Pye are adorable, love the names!
To me, she looks like a pure bred English cocker, her coat may stay the length it is, or it may still grow, her lines just may not be full coated, English cockers do not have as much coat as the American Cockers. My Pye's dam had a very sparse coat, so much so, that she wasn't shown, and she came from a long line of Conformation Show cockers, Pye's Sire is very full coated, and is a Champion of record, Pye's coat came from his sire's line.

I say count yourself lucky if you weren't planning on showing her in confirmation. You won't have a the trouble and mess the rest of us do. I groom my boys every 4 weeks, they are touched up and bathed in between. It's a lot of work!

I would say that she is a English Cocker, did you receive papers when you purchased her? Are you planning on showing her. She is lovely, a beautiful color and has a kind face.

I thought it might help if I shared a couple of photos. One of our members is a very well known English Cocker breeder in ILL. Here
is Copper who I believe is the #7 English Cocker shown by the AKC, he's retired now. And one of his relatives. They are both buff, not
red like your beauty. But, you can get an idea.

Also: Here is a link to a uTube montage of Copper, so you can see a full photo
of him in his show coat.

Copper
copper_zpspjdmns3k.jpg

This was their Chistmas Card one year. I painted both of these poses for them.
XMAS_Mick_2007_02_zpskw4u2aqp.jpg

Last edited:
She is beautiful, she looks very much like my female show cocker except yours is a darker colour. When I sent update pictures of my dog to the breeder she said her legs were long! Lexi's body hair is short but she has feathers on her tail, legs and belly.

Wow....this is a really snazzy looking English Cocker!!
I fixed your post (I hope!) He is a beautiful dog. I like the picture of him laying on his back with his handler. They seem the share a strong bond.

Thank you so much for all the feedback, we have no intention of showing her and she isn't KC registered so even if we wanted to I don't think we could. Interestingly I changed her to a cold pressed food and her hair has started to grow longer particularly her feathers and a tuft on the top of her head. Her main body remains pretty short. I am thinking she's maybe half working breed half show breed. When I initially posted I had started to think some of her look reminded me of a red setter and I wondered if there was a pinch of that in there too. Copper is a stunning dog and has the classic show spaniel look Emily's head is less rounded and her ears are a lot shorter too. Will be interesting to see how long her coat gets with the change in food such a huge difference already.xxx

Back