Here is something I came across

Mel Blacke

and I offer it up for comments and discussion:

Dog lovers are outraged over a Garmin gadget that shocks dogs into behaving

If I have to do this to my dog to get her to behave then I would consider myself as a failure as a dog parent and trainer. I would rather spend countless hours playing/training with my dog than use one of these. On the other hand I have seen it achieve amazing results with specific problems in certain dogs. What bothers me is the thrust of the advertising----the suggestion that it is a kind of cure all for behavioral issues. It is not. The advertisement kind of invites people to think of it as a quick fix.. The "oh, I will just get one of these collars and then I won't have to spend time teaching the dog what the expectations are...." mentality. Worse are the people who think---"when the dog does something that I don't like, I can just zap it and then the dog won't do it anymore...." Most unwanted behavior can be solved by dog parents. If you don't have the experience or expertise then you need to hire help----through classes or with a behavioral expert. On certain dogs, this collar would cause more problems than it would ever solve.

I know that behavioral experts are expensive. Classes are less expensive and my dog and I have both benefitted tremendously from attending them. For example, when we first started, I was having trouble with a specific exercise on lead and one of the long time members was watching us. As we passed by, she whispered, "you need to walk faster." I quickened my pace and the problem evaporated. I have received countless tips and how-to-solve-problems from the people there that have stopped or prevented countless issues.

Last edited:
I agree positive reinforcement is better. The pet will learn faster and gain acceptable behaviors in the process. Negative reinforcement is stressful. I think Garmin has chosen this feature because they're already marketing similar products. https://amzn.com/B00L3EQ70E
I think they're used by hunters but I'm not sure how. The only way I would be interested in this product is as an Invisible Fence. You could use the GPS create a safe perimeter but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Nope! Never have and I will never use one of those or anything like it.

The only reason I could think of to use something like that is rattlesnake aversion training where they currently use shock collars. I have a friend who has dogs who are beloved family members who are also working dogs. For several years in a row she has had the rattlesnake aversion trainer come out annually. The training involves shocking the dog every time it goes near a rattlesnake. She said it breaks her heart but it's life saving to make sure the dogs don't go near the snakes. She works with her dogs and believes in positive training but this is a matter of life and death. After three years her dogs won't go near the snakes at all when the trainer comes so no one gets shocked.

My dad uses something similar with his hunting dogs.
Once their nose is fully engaged, they will blindly run across/along roads, railways and other hazards.
The shock breaks their attention and they know to stop and drop in their tracks.

My dad uses something similar with his hunting dogs.
Once their nose is fully engaged, they will blindly run across/along roads, railways and other hazards.
The shock breaks their attention and they know to stop and drop in their tracks.
Thanks for that bit of info. I was wondering how it would be used.

That makes sense then. When my beagle is outside and catches a scent, she turns into another dog entirely. I cannot break her concentration at all....I am pretty sure that she doesn't even hear me. I have often wondered if that is the reason that people think that hounds are stubborn?

I agree positive reinforcement is better. The pet will learn faster and gain acceptable behaviors in the process. Negative reinforcement is stressful. I think Garmin has chosen this feature because they're already marketing similar products. https://amzn.com/B00L3EQ70E
I think they're used by hunters but I'm not sure how. The only way I would be interested in this product is as an Invisible Fence. You could use the GPS create a safe perimeter but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

The problem with invisible fences is that if a dog is super excited it's adrenaline (seeing a squirrel, cat or fear)can cause it to run right through the shock of the fence. But once the dog's adrenaline drops and it is no longer in that state of mind, then it can not get back into it's own yard. The invisible fence also does not prevent other dogs from coming onto your property.

As far as train a dog for hunting, they can be useful BUT only in the hands of a trainer. An amateur could ruin his hunting dog's spirit and his desire to hunt..

^^
This reminded me of a Dad story.......
His dogs have an invisible fence across the back of the yard separating it from the fields.
One day I was watching as he walked back towards the yard with the dogs bouncing around him.
As they approached the fence, each of the dogs paused and looked to my Dad for his OK to cross the fence back into the yard.
They got their permission and bounded happily back into the yard.
Dad with each of the 4 collars carefully removed from the dogs & placed in various pockets, then proceeded to cross the fence line.........

Till this day that story will still send our family into fits of giggles :D

^^
This reminded me of a Dad story.......
His dogs have an invisible fence across the back of the yard separating it from the fields.
One day I was watching as he walked back towards the yard with the dogs bouncing around him.
As they approached the fence, each of the dogs paused and looked to my Dad for his OK to cross the fence back into the yard.
They got their permission and bounded happily back into the yard.
Dad with each of the 4 collars carefully removed from the dogs & placed in various pockets, then proceeded to cross the fence line.........

Till this day that story will still send our family into fits of giggles :D
That is too cute. Dogs are smart.

Back