Lucky in the new Apartment

MellyMelandLucky

Hey, y'all! My apologies for not posting for a whe! My, has life been hectic!

I just moved into a new apartment with my old fart- I mean dog, Lucky! (I love him, but I have to tease! ♡ )

I must say I was worried at first.

Lucky is an older cocker. (Can you believe he'll be 10 in a few months? Time sure flies!) I'd worried that he wouldn't take so well to a new environment. There's so many different noises! So many stairs every time he needs to go out! And, no Bear to keep him company, seeing as Bear is my mother's.

But much to my surprise, he's been very good, calm and quiet. Yay, Lucky-Boy!

20160827_191504.jpg 20160820_011831.jpg 20160825_111629.jpg

Maybe once his mama can afford more than Ramen noodles, she can get him a haircut! (Though I do cut his bangs out of his eyes. He's a fluffer for sure!)

Thanks for checking in. I like his coat. Does he have a little poodle mixed in?

I'm not certain. Groomer, who used to breed them, says he's likely a purebred. She told me her American cockers sometimes came out to be curly.

Vet says he could be pure as well. She thinks it's highly unlikely that he's not. And if he does have anything else, it's probably a low percentage.

I want to do a dna test, but I've heard those can be pricy.

I've often wondered if he's part poodle, for his deeper voice and lack of shedding. He sheds more than Bear (But Bear is for sure half poodle,) but he still barely sheds at all. Or perhaps I'm used to the German Shepherd mix I used to have (now, she could shed, for sure!)

His coat is quite thick and dense, but it only curls like that when it gets longer. When he's brushed, it looks a lot more straight.

20160519_140048.jpg 20160519_140017.jpg 20160518_145117.jpghanging out at the radio station and in my new Trailblazer! (The poor Escape called it quits after 333,000 miles.)

So, I've bought my first car (Escape was a gift at 16,) moved out into my own place for the first time... Lucky was my first own dog, and my first rescue.... lots of firsts!

I had a friend who had a buff colored American Cocker who, when her fur was short, used to curl just like that and she was an ex show(conformation) dog---so she definitely was a purebred. She had an incredibly dense coat that grew like crazy and had to be groomed every 4-6 weeks. She was beautiful! She did not, oddly enough, shed much.

Congrats on your new place.

I had a friend who had a buff colored American Cocker who, when her fur was short, used to curl just like that and she was an ex show(conformation) dog---so she definitely was a purebred. She had an incredibly dense coat that grew like crazy and had to be groomed every 4-6 weeks. She was beautiful! She did not, oddly enough, shed much.

Congrats on your new place.

That's exactly how Lucky is. Save for the color. He's tan and white, becoming more white with age. (Everyone thinks he's a pup because of his giant paws! :D )
But he sheds just about as much as my mother's peekapoo. Which is practically none.

My beagle sheds like crazy, too. What I find absolutely amusing is that on many of the "breed descriptions" on the web, beagles are supposed to have a low maintenance coat---like Polly said, maybe it depends on the line.

Back