It's hard to see him age..

Sim Virk

Hello all, my boy Max is 13, in the last couple of days his paws have been slipping, he's having trouble staying upright :( He has a mass on his underside the size of a grapefruit, unable to operate on it due to its attachment to nerves etc. Is this normal, his slipping and loss of balance?

I'm sorry to hear about his condition. The slipping can be due to many things. I see hardwood flooring in your avatar--that's a slick surface. Make sure his paw pads and nails are trimmed so they can make good contact. You can also put down area rugs so he has a better grip. His advanced age may make him weaker and slip easier. My cocker Hoshi is 7 and he slips all the time on the kitchen tile.

I made an appointment to get him groomed today, but my husband said Max could barely stand, let alone withstand a couple of hours of grooming and being in cage for any length of time. Going to see if the vet can see him tomorrow and they can trim his nails too. The wood floors have not bothered him at all until the last couple of days :(

I do think you are very wise to have him seen by the vet. Perhaps he had a mild stroke.

Older dogs are more precious to me because of their age and all the times we shared together. I remember a pervading sense of dread and terror that something was terribly wrong with my old dog. I feel for you.

Back