Kongs

lori

Owned by
2 cockers
Does anyone use a Kong for feeding meals to their dogs? I'm trying to get Mia to eat from one, but she just doesn't get it yet that she has to nose or use paws to get the food out. I've watched some videos, but after a couple of weeks, she still doesn't get it. She'll take out the ones that easily fall out, but then has no clue after that. Teddy caught on right away with food toys, so I'm not sure how what to do next. I like food toys so they have mental stimulation and it takes them longer to eat rather than gobble it down.

I don't use a Kong. I do feed by hand. Sometimes I deliberately hand-feed Hoshi slowly so my mom's dog can finish his food without Hoshi bothering him. Have you tried a different toy? This toy on Amazon seems interesting:

I don't use a Kong. I do feed by hand. Sometimes I deliberately hand-feed Hoshi slowly so my mom's dog can finish his food without Hoshi bothering him. Have you tried a different toy? This toy on Amazon seems interesting:

I don't have one like that, but I do have other ones like the Bob-a-lot and a toy similar to the above. I just want something I can stuff and put in their crates if they need to go in, which they usually don't, but I'm trying to crate train them just in case they ever have to be.

Do you put food into the Kong? I usually use something like peanut butter. That way they can lick and almost all dogs can figure that out. Maybe after using something she can lick then she would be able to figure out food.

Do you put food into the Kong? I usually use something like peanut butter. That way they can lick and almost all dogs can figure that out. Maybe after using something she can lick then she would be able to figure out food.
I do put food in the Kong, but I tried just the peanut butter and she did good with that. I just put a mound of it over the top and let her lick it. Tomorrow I'll put some down in farther and see how she does. Thanks!

I do put food in the Kong, but I tried just the peanut butter and she did good with that. I just put a mound of it over the top and let her lick it. Tomorrow I'll put some down in farther and see how she does. Thanks!
I use either peanut butter or liverwurst in the kongs and I freeze them first.

I use either peanut butter or liverwurst in the kongs and I freeze them first.
Polly, I tried frozen PB with her, and she gave up on it in a few seconds. Going to try that again in a few days.

I think once she gets the hang of licking the peanut butter out of the Kong she'll begin to figure out the frozen peanut butter and other things.

I don't have one like that, but I do have other ones like the Bob-a-lot and a toy similar to the above. I just want something I can stuff and put in their crates if they need to go in, which they usually don't, but I'm trying to crate train them just in case they ever have to be.
You know, the first time I saw those(a few years ago), I thought how silly but so many people have said their dogs really seem to like them, that I am seriously considering one. Besides, it would be fun to watch them figure it out.

Oy yes Mel they sure do! Mine especially love the balls that emit treats as they roll them around.

You know, the first time I saw those(a few years ago), I thought how silly but so many people have said their dogs really seem to like them, that I am seriously considering one. Besides, it would be fun to watch them figure it out.
Teddy loves the Bob-o-Lot - he's a pawer and is crazy nuts trying to get the food out!

the ONLY thing I miss about feeding kibble is feeding them from toys. Its just not the same feeding raw :) Have you tried layering american cheese with the kibble? so put some kibble in it, then a 1/4 or less of a slice of cheese, then more kibble, then more cheese then more kibble then more cheese. put in a cup w/the small hole down and microwave for 15-30seconds. just till the cheese gets a bit gooey. let it cool completely and give to them. the extra yum factor is usually a motivator.

also, be sure the kong isnt too big. Sometimes, if its too big, they have a hard time getting their mouth on it. kong also makes bone & saucer shaped toys.

or try a different type of toy like a buster cube or one of the balls etc that have to be kicked around. not helpful in a crate, but makes for a good toy all the same...

Back