Exercise Equipment

Mel Blacke

The new fitness equipment came in---yeah, go ahead and laugh if you want but if I don't have a way to exercise my dog in the dead of winter in Ohio, then it is going to be a really long winter at Hacienda Mel when the snow flies. We got a small disk and the four little pods to stand on to improve core strength. More importantly it is supposed to tire the dog out. I know agility people use them frequently. Plus it seems to me that if you are going to ask the dog to heel with the head lifted and the front legs kicking out it means the rear end is where most of the thrust comes from. It isn't really a normal gait for a dog. If you ask a horse to do that then the horse's back and rear quarters must be really strong---surely it is the same for a dog? I hope that the equipment will help with that.

Good luck! What do these pods and disc look like. I'm curious.

Never heard of them...
I have a soft squeeky ball, when the weather is bad, I just toss it in the house. Pretty soon Pye is ready for a nap.
I do this from top our bed, then Pye has to jump down from our platform bed to the chest at the foot of the bed then to the floor, then do the same on his way back to me.
He gets tired pretty fast.

Amazon.com : FitPAWS Canine Balance Disc : SportingDoc

FitPAWS® Paw Pods (Set of 4)

These are the two types that I got for Fi but there are a few different styles of them.

We are starting off slow and easy and will wait to see how it goes. 2 minutes twice a day for the first week. The paw pods she will have to be taught to stand on anyway.
I haven't seen those before. Hoshi will use them for evil. He will find new ways to pester me for food like perch on my head.

I haven't seen those before. Hoshi will use them for evil. He will find new ways to pester me for food like perch on my head.
lol....Fiona kept at it until she managed to pick up one of those paw pods off the floor to give it a proper chew. She was also enchanted with the air pump that came with the fitness disk. I shot a stream of air at her and she dropped into a play bow and barked and growled and bounced around on the floor. I would give her another puff of air from the nozzle and the game would start all over again. It had to put away out of sight so we could have some peace.

I have never seen those before either.
Bella has an indoor ball that she drops from the top of the stairs and races to catch it at the bottom.
Zoey and I watch her from the couch :D

Fiona needs that exercise equipment....she really does!! I get home from work, absolutely pooped. Fiona stands in front of me as I eat dinner, her whole body vibrating on high which means the stub is moving so fast it is fluttering as she waits for me to finish dinner. She then brings me the wash cloth, a pack of gift wrap, my wet socks, Aunt Patty's lip balm (in a ball shaped container) and an assortment of toys, among other things. Jumping on the back of the couch and sitting behind my head, like a cat, she tries to wash my ears and neck. Dragging the throw off the back of the couch she rolls around in it, growling and playing, apparently hiding her ball in the folds. She engages the beagle in play, who is a good sport about it until the old gal has had enough and tells Fiona to bug off. Aunt Patty has gifts to wrap and is rounding up supplies...rummaging on the closet shelf....Fiona is rummaging in the closet too....seeing what she can get into. This is a typical evening with Fiona who has had no exercise because of the absolute bitter cold and my long work hours at this time of year. She probably isn't a dog for every sort of person....I find her antics quite amusing and charming a (and exasperating at times)....it is like she is a little person...like having a two year old living with you.

reminds me of my doberman & my first cocker ;) Fiona needs a JOB. We used to have Ny bring messages back and forth to us in an old metal cookie tin. and she'd sort laundry. Just tell her which pile to put it in. She'd pick up anything we'd drop and could even put cans away in the closet. Just dont have them do soda/beer cans in case they get punctured...... heck of a mess then!

Jake - my first cocker could play hide and go seek with a discernable objects so I'd send him to find his bone/ball/toy etc and he had to find & bring back the correct one. or we'd set up a makeshift mini agility course. baby tunnels are easy to find used. they can get onto a table/chair or jump through hula hoops.

You're right they're not for everyone. Or even every stage of one's life. I really enjoyed that sort of dog in my pre child day when I had more time/energy/$$ to devote to a dog. Right now I think I'd loose my mind! Some day though......

Back