Article: Protecting your cocker spaniel from dog attacks

I must say I'm a little miffed at this article. The title should say ANY dog, NOT just pits. It's typecasting a breed that's already so much misunderstood. It's like someone saying a cocker isn't a good dog to be around children. We all know that's not true. I font see this as any different. I'd own a pit in a minute to guard my myself and my Cockers. I've been to dogshows and both Storm AND Hersh have almost been attacked by chows just by us walking by them RINGSIDE. This was at separate shows years apart. Thank goodness both myself and the other dog's handlers were paying attention but it has made them fearful of larger dogs than them.
EVERYONE MUST BE ON GUARD WHEN PASSING BY ANOTHER DOG EITHER FAMILIAR OR UNFAMILIAR. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered why Stormy was afraid of larger dogs, good to know Robin. My sister has had pits.. 2 of them, they were wonderful dogs. My cockers loved them. My other sister had a chow.. he was very protective, would allow my dogs in because she told him to, but, he sure wasn't friendly.. never hurt mine tho..

The title does not say pit bulls although I did use pit bulls as an example. Why? Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be killed by a pit bull (american staffordshire terrier) than any other breed. Gopitbull.com says pit bulls were responsible for 42% of fatalities from dog attacks in 2010. Dogbite.org says 67%. You can say both sites are biased and average those percentages together (55%). I am not saying pit bulls are inherently bad. I am saying they're incredibly strong. Pit bulls need obedience classes and proper socialization for this reason. I seriously doubt any of those pit bulls causing fatalities had proper socialization.

I love cocker spaniels. I can't stand to see them or their owners being killed.

It so sad to hear how dog kill other dogs. I have notice though that usually they are pitbulls attacking other dogs. I am so afraid of taking Pumpking out for walks around my neighborhood since I see pitbulls loose all the time and other breeds. My brother use to have a pitbull long time ago and she was the sweetest thing. I know pitbulls aren't all bad but how will you know. I don't want to take a chance.

I've had to quit walking our four in our neighborhood due stray dog's running loose of all kind's. Here in CO you have to be very careful with pepper spray because the wind's can change at anytime. I also tried using an umbrella to no avail. One man saw me walking our four and let his larger dog out his front door to "do his business" and made me so mad. Our humane society (if you can call it that) will not do anything about stray's either. We had a GS jumped his fence to try and attack us too. So, they get their exercise in their back yard or either if we take them on a bike path out of the city. I have a four way lead for them and it's so sad that we can't walk our 3 mile's we used to do:( Eileen

It's sad you are unable to enjoy walking your pets. That's something I won't give up.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

One day I'll take a picture of Bouqet Canyon, the road is 2 lanes, very dangerous, lots of twists and turns, and, no sidewalks.
I'm afraid to walk mine here..

You guys are making me love my neighborhood so much more! We're in a condo, so walking is the only way "things get done." Because it's a high density neighborhood, people's dogs have to get along, even if the people don't have much in common otherwise. And I can't even fathom dogs being allowed loose around here. Love city life!

I feel it is any dog, I know lots of Pit owners and the dogs are very sweet. I think as with any dog it is in the way they are raised and trained for them most part.

My Chase is as sweet as you can find but he has started jumping at his leash and barking at other dogs when we walk, the hair on the his back goes up too. This is something I am working on, but it concerns me. I don't think he would ever be aggressive with anyone or anything but how do you know? The wrong signal goes out and you could have a problem, this is new behavior and I think it comes from the "discussion" he has with the neighbor dog every time they both get out together.

It makes me aware that even with my sweet dog I have to be aware and it is up to me to teach him this behavior is not acceptable.

Back