Different trims?

member 23

Owned by
1 cocker
I've tried google search with no luck, does anyone know of a website where I can view the different haircut options for American cockers? I'm getting Kaylee groomed this week and would like to know what to ask for.

If you look on the forum page there is a section on grooming. I'll bet there are ideas on grooming styles you could see.

well, almost all groomers have their own version of a cocker cut. Some shave everything off - EVEN THE EARS OMG, I call that the Beagle Cut.

Some like to do a puppy cut, which is really nice for the average pet cocker. Some like to leave a little skirt on the sides, legs fluffier and have back shaved down (sometimes too short if you ask me),

but mostly it's how the owner wants the dog to look, depending on their lifestyle. If you don't have time to brush a few times a week, a shorter puppy cut is great. If you & your dog like the bonding a nice brushy gives, then go for a little bit of fluff.

Some like topknots, some like nekid heads. I prefer to have a cocker at LEAST have a cocker head -- longish ears, top 1/3 groomed shorter, against grain, with a topknot and tight face/neck.

Even if the dog is nekid - at least they still look like a cocker should. Your best bet is to look at Cocker Pictures (breeders pages, etc) and find one you like and print it out for the groomer.

Also find out if the groomer has done many cockers. Many don't like to do them, because they might not be used to feet being fiddled with or ears being messed with.

I'm putting all our dogs (here) in a puppy cut - no matter what breed, each one has a puppy cut, or sometimes called a "teddy bear".

Ling Ling (my black & tan) has a beautiful show coat, but I keep her in a cocker puppy cut. Heres what it looks like on her.

Attachments

• 92.jpg
    92.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 93
Most groomers will only shave a back. I think stripping is too much hassle for them. They don't do show cuts.

I shave backs but not so short. I like a 5F and then I do use a classic (fine) stripper as a quicky afterwards to help it blend better on certain dogs. Some buffs show every clipper mark. Ugh

ha I remember the very first time I groomed a cocker OMG. Looked like a few rows of corn on his back.

Just keep looking at pictures of cockers till you find one you like and think would look like a nice cut for your pup. We have several groomers on here and many owners that do a nice job of grooming their dogs.

That's my problem~ Not being able to find pics to choose a cut from. Kaylee isn't for show, so I'm not worried about that. So far the puppy cut sounds nice? I don't like her completely shaved down, especially her head, and I never let the groomer shave her ears!! The last time she went to the groomer, I wanted all the hair cut off for a clean start... Now her hair is long enough to have it cut right.

I bet you could find exactly what you want in the pic collection right here - especially Kelly perhaps! I do play around with my boys' styles but I don't take many pictures.

I was just going to come and suggest that you go through the albums on this site and find some pictures that you like . . . print those out and take them with you to the groomer. Sometimes having a visual can be super helpful, and your groomer will appreciate being able to see what you're asking for.

Ashlee, If you think you might like the puppy cut go to my website www.robinsmastergrooming.com and go to the page named dogs I have groomed. The very first dog is a buff cocker named Andy in a pup cut with a #7 on the neck and back, #10 on face and ears, and 1/2 inch comb over #30 blade used on the furnishings. You're welcome to print that pic out too.

Glad you responded Robin. Man Andy looks a lot like my Kermit

PS. You use a #4F down sides on him or scissor?

Last edited:
Ashlee, If you think you might like the puppy cut go to my website www.robinsmastergrooming.com and go to the page named dogs I have groomed. The very first dog is a buff cocker named Andy in a pup cut with a #7 on the neck and back, #10 on face and ears, and 1/2 inch comb over #30 blade used on the furnishings. You're welcome to print that pic out too.

Robin. Why don't you place photographs of different cocker cuts on you site? That's a great way to advertise and show different to cuts to your customers.

I plan on it Manuel. I'm waiting for my regulars that usually come in that'll be easier to see than the black cockers LOL. I just recently started that page so I'm continually adding to my collection. Also don't want JUST cockers there even tho they're my specialty ;)

Last edited:
I really like this picture that I found on google search:

16bxdn8.jpg

Except for the weird line on the shoulder area...
Opinions?

This is what Kaylee looks like right now:

6hky3a.jpg

Last edited:
That's a puppy cut I believe. The line is probably just a skin fold since she's turned towards the camera.

It's another interpretation of a pup cut yes, but I don't like the 'hula' skirt under the belly. #1 it should be blended and not have a straight line there #2 the side skirt should be layered like the legs are. Looks strange the way it is.
Were you able to take a look at Andy on my site Ashlee? It's the same cut but done correctly. Notice the difference in the blending from the shorter hair on the back to the longer hair in the side skirt. Also notice it looks nicer 'layered' on the side skirt. If this pic is what you like though, go for it as Kaylee is your dog. I can just see where it wasn't done where it could look more balanced. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Yep, that's a longer version of a puppy cut. The neck thing is just a wrinkle in skin fold. And robin is correct. Skirt is a little too straight off body and not cut to
accentuate dogs lines, but your groomer might do a different job
at blending it in.

OK, I thought it was a skin fold, but wasn't sure. Yes, I see the difference now comparing the two pictures, particularly the skirt blending. I will be sure to mention that... The only thing I didn't like on Andy was the ear being half shaved, I know that's popular for a lot of cockers, but I just don't like it. Me and John looove Kaylee's ears the way they are.

Tell them to leave the ears and blend them to the top of the top of head and even up the edges as you like them FULL. ALSO BE SURE AND TELL THEM YOU WANT A TOPKNOT IF YOU WANT ONE AS MOST GROOMERS GIVE A CLEAN HEAD AS THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER.

Yeah, what Robin said. It's kind of hard to groom a dog all nice and neat and not clean up the sticky outies on the ears. Ack

Back