Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allergies to Vaccines

Owned By
    1 cocker
    Thanks/Likes

Yes, We will be pre-medicating her before her shots and then I will be watching to make sure the reaction doesn't get out of hand afterwards. You are right - A reaction like this is not to be taken lightly. Given the reaction from the vet - I could tell it was very serious - and I am happy that she made it through. Does anyone else not vaccinate their dogs? and is it safe to take them outside if they are not fully vacinated? I take our big dog to a dog park in a near by neighbourhood and have been dying to take Sadie with me but have been waiting until she is vaccinated as I would hate for her to get anything that is preventable. (Parvo, rabies, kennel cough).

Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

I have always done puppy shots. Around here Parvovirus is rampant and I would not take my puppy out in an area with lots of dogs until he finished his shots. I once lost a dog to parvovirus. He got it as a very, very young puppy at the breeders. He survived it but the parvovirus reoccurrred and he died.

Protect your puppy.
    Karen, Farley, and Ki

Dylan and Riley
    Forever in my Heart

Owned By
    1 cocker
    Thanks/Likes

Update - We will be looking for a new vet.
    I went for our vet appointment today and after waiting 45 minutes finally got in to see the vet - Who refused to administer the vaccinations due to the fact that he didn't have any anti-histimines on site. I'm not mad that he refused the vaccinations - I'm mad that a vet can operate without these on hand. He told me they wouldn't have any until next weekend. What happens if someone's dog has a severe reaction while it is there? Why wasn't I told before we waited 45 minutes? Any insight from anyone? Should we seek a alternative vet - or should we wait for the meds to come in? I just wanted to get them done so I can start taking her out and socializing her with other dogs and people.

Biped
    Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

What else do you suppose they are out of, besides common sense? I wouldn't go back, either.
    Deborah, Seattle
    Facebook
    Twitter

Cordelia
    Nicholas Cockervich Nobarkoff, 1996?-2012

I adopted Super Moderator Polly's Avatar
    Owned By
    3 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries
    Pet Profiles

I'm with Deborah, find a vet you can have faith in..

L
    ove,
    Polly
    Pepper, Pogo & Pye

PollysPortraits.com

Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes

I have tried not to say much as I have such an issue with vaccinations but I have not cared much for some of the things you have posted about this vet before this last episode. If there is a holistic vet in you area you may want to try them, if not yes a new vet is in order.

Dianne

7. Likes katie liked this post
    Owned By
    1 cocker
    Thanks/Likes

I just wanted to update everyone on Sadie and her Vet issues. I have found a new vet who I love. He was very good with Sadie and her reactions. They gave her a anti-histamine before the vaccinations to attempt to prevent a reaction this time around and Told me I could follow up with Gravol at home for the next couple of days. Sadie is now up to date on her shots - Including her rabies and is good for another year. And as of this morning - she hasn't shown any signs of a reaction to the vaccinations. Thank you everyone for your advice on seeking a vet I could trust. It really helped me in taking the steps Sadie needed. I am so looking forward to taking her to the dog park. Anyone know how long after the shots you should wait before taking the dog outside?

Owned By
    1 cocker
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries
    Pet Profiles

Thanks for checking back. I tried to find out when it's safe to take him out. I would ask your vet. I think it depends which number of vaccination this is.

Gabby's MCS Profile
    Hoshi's MCS Profile
    Create your own MCS Profiles
    Add pictures to your post
    There's no doubt about it. Dogs are nicer than people. ~Andy Rooney