Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw vs grain free kibble

Owned By
    1 cocker
    Thanks/Likes

Default Raw vs grain free kibble

I am still debating whether to attempt to feed twister raw or not. Local store has primal. Being that twister is 24 lbs. not sure if it is economical. Natures variety has a feeding calculator, but still debating. Putting cost aside, do you think raw (nutrition balanced), not grinds, are healthier then say blue buffalo kibble grain free. I have read that Orijen kibble can give some dogs upset stomached. Maybe too rich? I know raw gives far smaller poop.

Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries
    Pet Profiles

I don't do raw, and I won't in the future purely because I love in an apartment and I can't deal with a deer leg being dragged through my living room

I feed my two Wellness Core grain free. I did use Blue Buffalo and Apollo enjoyed it, but it gave Missy bad dandruff and made her itchy no matter what formula I tried, except the fish. But it made her very gassy, so I decided against that as well.

I feed my two the grain free kibble + liquid fish oil. Makes their coats look very nice and has really helped with their eye & ear gunk I've noticed.
    Apollo & Artemis;
    the troublesome twosome

3. Likes Polly, Kathy liked this post
    Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

Everyone here feeds their dogs differently from raw, to home cooked, to all kinds of kibble. Ultimately it's whatever works for you and your dog.
    Karen, Farley, and Ki

Dylan and Riley
    Forever in my Heart

5. Likes Polly, DJ's Three, ApolloShadow, Kathy liked this post
    Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

We use Fromm's four star beef and purchase from http://www.chewy.com (super fast service) I also cook a beef and veggie topper and works really well for us...but some dogs do not do well on beef,others do not tolerate chicken well so it is a matter of finding the right food and what works best for each dog.
    There is no Love like Cocker Love

7. Likes Polly liked this post
    Owned By
    1 cocker
    Thanks/Likes

I was hesitant to ask this question because of so many opinions. I figure go with grain free kibble and coconut oil and kelp/spirulina.

Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

Lol....yes so many routes to go when feeding. I have found through experience with Cockers that the very high protein foods can be too rich for them and cause problems. Maybe not all Cockers but almost all that I had owned. I try to stay around 25% to 30%

10. Likes ApolloShadow liked this post
    I adopted Super Moderator Polly's Avatar
    Owned By
    3 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries
    Pet Profiles

All food choices are good, as long as you choose a good quality food.. nothing you can buy in the grocery store.
    Kibbles and Bits etc...

We all feed differently. I home cook an oatmeal based food... I'm considering making a "topper" now like Kathy does for my boys also. I know they will love it.

L
    ove,
    Polly
    Pepper, Pogo & Pye

PollysPortraits.com

12. Likes DJ's Three, ApolloShadow, Kathy liked this post
    Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

Oh they will Polly,I have never had such hearty eaters...lol Every item in my topper is there for a reason and I researched each one for all its benefits.

It is really fun cooking for them and watching them eat. Ty you very much for putting me onto the path of cooking their food and treats.
    Last edited by Kathy; 07-15-2013 at 08:17 PM.

14. Likes Polly, DJ's Three liked this post
    Biped
    Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mario2000 View Post
    I was hesitant to ask this question because of so many opinions. I figure go with grain free kibble and coconut oil and kelp/spirulina.
    LOL! Sometimes politics and religion are less controversial. We do a mix of grain-free, single protein kibble, with a tiny bit of canned (from the same line), and lots of raw veggies. Dogfoodadvisor.com has some great reviews and nutritional analysis.
    Deborah, Seattle
    Facebook
    Twitter

Cordelia
    Nicholas Cockervich Nobarkoff, 1996?-2012

16. Likes DJ's Three, Kathy liked this post
    Owned By
    2 cockers
    Thanks/Likes
    Blog Entries

Default Raw vs grain free kibble

I feed one of my dogs raw, it works for him. His skin is nice, he is happy and looks great for his age, he is 8 and the only one in his litter not to have gray hairs, lol. No seizures . My other dog eats the Fromm, beef kibble, like Kathy feeds. I am still showing her, kibble is easy right now since we go to shows. I will try giving her raw as well. Both my dogs get the raw goats milk as well for the probiotics. In the end it is whatever works for your dog. If he looks great, is healthy and is a happy guy. Great! Keep doing what your doing.
    Nicole, Fenway and Amelia

18. Likes Polly, Kathy liked this post