Members on Twitter speak out against Crufts

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
A gorgeous parti-color American cocker spaniel won Best in Show at Crufts this year which angered many gundog owners:
Elliott said:
#Crufts is absurd. That is NOT working gun dog, it's a pompous fancy thing. THIS is a working class gundog, it's a joke to real working dogs
Elliott on Twitter

Ben Redman said:
One is #crufts2017 Gun dog champion. One is an actual gun dog. Can you see why us real working dog folk can't take #Crufts seriously?
Ben Redman on Twitter

It's all over FB also, they don't understand out breed, Cockers are not just a lot of pretty coat.

It's all over FB also, they don't understand out breed, Cockers are not just a lot of pretty coat.
Thanks Polly. I'm surprised people actually spoke out. Is the same attack happening on facebook?

Shame on them! Most of those dogs in that ring would not be able to hunt. Moreover, I have run across at least one person who shoots over her AKC show line of American Cockers and I am sure that there are others who do the same. I have been doing some background reading about English cockers and show lines vs field bred. This one fella who trains and hunts several sporting breeds competitively(field bred ECS being one of those breeds)was asked if a show ECS could be used and he said that based on his experience, he would estimate that 20 percent of show lines have lost their prey drive, but 20 percent would be able to compete quite comfortably in the field...the remaining 60% would make quite competent hunting dogs for people who hunt casually on weekends and on vacations. The added plus is that they fit more comfortably into a city or suburban lifestyle if given a decent amount of exercise. Probably the American Cockers would be the same. The beauty of the smaller spaniels as hunting companions is that they are portable, with merry temperaments that get along well with other dogs and other people. From personal experience, I can say that they are pretty easy to train and tend to stray hardly at all. That means that I can give my dog a good run if it is a relatively safe environment without fear of her running off or getting lost or hassling people we might happen upon. If Fi does engage with people, they tend to squeal..."OOoooh!! What a cute dog!" Instead of being confronted by a 60-80 lb boisterous black lab where they are left wondering uneasily whether the dog is going to be confrontational and praying the owner is nearby.

Thanks Polly. I'm surprised people actually spoke out. Is the same attack happening on facebook?
Manuel from what I understand yes. So many show breeders are on FB, and, then many who hunt also. So many Americans after attaining their Conformation Titles, get cut down and then get their field titles.

he would estimate that 20 percent of show lines have lost their prey drive, but 20 percent would be able to compete quite comfortably in the field...the remaining 60% would make quite competent hunting dogs for people who hunt casually on weekends and on vacations.
Thanks for the bit of information. I've never taken Hoshi hunting but I'm sure he would be raring to go.

I used to go "hunting" w/Sandy. In other words, I went out a/a gun and took her for a walk in the woods. Neither of us had a real clue as to what we were doing. But, if we had had some training, she would have been a good bird dog. She had the instinct, but needed direction. Never tried it w/Ebony. I had neither a gun nor a license when I had her, so I have no idea how she would have done.

I used to go "hunting" w/Sandy. In other words, I went out a/a gun and took her for a walk in the woods. Neither of us had a real clue as to what we were doing. But, if we had had some training, she would have been a good bird dog. She had the instinct, but needed direction. Never tried it w/Ebony. I had neither a gun nor a license when I had her, so I have no idea how she would have done.
I'd do that with Gabby. All I have to say was SQUIRREL and he took off running for one. He would have made a good squirreldog.

I was talking to a woman at our kennel club who hunt tests her curly coated retriever, which is what spurred my investigative efforts on the internet, and, since I happen to work with a couple of serious, committed, hunters, I sounded them out about bird dog training. The dog has to be motivated but you have to teach it how to use the motivation and a lot of the steps are not all that different than advanced obedience training. The dog has to be what they call "steady to shot," and "steady to wing," which means that they have to be able to not freak out at the loud sound of the guns and obey anyway and also when the game flushes skyward, they have to "down," when told to so the hunters can take their shot. For some time now, I have been trying to assess whether this might be something for Fiona and I to do together. Freeze dried pigeon wings aren't all that expensive. We'll start in the house and then outside, I will hide it in bushes and see how she does locating it with her nose. I intend to take her to the park and let her chase the geese again this year and see if she has an appetite for flushing. She did okay last year. Even if it doesn't exactly go anywhere, it will be something fun for the three of us to do as I intend to bring my beagle with us.

Do any of you watch Duck Dynasty? I used to watch it all the time. On one episode, the one guy on there, Uncle Si, was looking for a new duck dog. Everyone laughed when he turned up w/a poodle. The poodle very quickly shut them all up.

I was told once that the Obedience Competition was devised by a woman who bred poodles to prove the intelligence of her dogs. There is woman at the kennel club where we go that has a standard Poodle named Picasso. He is roughly the same age as Fiona and utterly composed and super obedient. He is a very cool doggie

I'd do that with Gabby. All I have to say was SQUIRREL and he took off running for one. He would have made a good squirreldog.
I don't know much about competing in obedience (yet) but I do have some experience with field bred hunting dogs. When we were in the obedience class last year there was a curly coated retriever and a weimeraner that both competed in hunt tests. I looked them over and have to say hands down that my little 21 lb ECS has WAY more working drive than either of them. People often call the breed hyper but I see it as working drive and focus and needing a job---you can do things with that kind of motivation.

One of my favorite books as a child (and probably something that influenced my love for Cockers) was Champion Dog: Prince Tom. For those that haven't read it, even though it's a "kids" book, it's a good one to read about cockers and hunting.

One of my favorite books as a child (and probably something that influenced my love for Cockers) was Champion Dog: Prince Tom. For those that haven't read it, even though it's a "kids" book, it's a good one to read about cockers and hunting.
Ooooh, I'll have to look that one up to add to my new granddaughter's future library.

It's a good one to have. There are books from my childhood that I still read-that's one of them.

Back