hydrolyzed protein

coco_and_april

Hello,

A bit of background: I’ve been cooking for Coco for the last 5 months using BalanceIt recipes and their supplement but she still has an ongoing problem with loose stools or diarrhea. I went to the vet and he has suggested putting her on hydrolyzed protein. I was wondering if anyone here feeds their cocker this type of prescription dog food and how it has worked. I still feel better about making her food because I feel it’s healthier and safer but am wondering if I should give this food a chance. Hearing others experiences would help me get a little perspective since the vet did not say much about it. Thanks.

Wishing you the best. We have no experience with hydrolyzed protein food. If you try it let us know about your experience.

No, I've never tried it. I prefer feeding my dog as close to unprocessed as possible. I homecook also.

No, I've never tried it. I prefer feeding my dog as close to unprocessed as possible. I homecook also.
Hi Polly. I agree. That’s my line of thinking too. Unprocessed is better. Do your dogs ever have trouble with loose stools or diarrhea with the home cooking? Is that maybe just a normal part of this diet? I new to home cooking, so I’m not sure if it’s normal.

Hi Polly. I agree. That’s my line of thinking too. Unprocessed is better. Do your dogs ever have trouble with loose stools or diarrhea with the home cooking? Is that maybe just a normal part of this diet? I new to home cooking, so I’m not sure if it’s normal.
No Pye's stools are normal. Do you give her city tap water to drink, or, are you on a well. When we moved to our current home (we live in a National Forest) and to well water for the first time, I had a horrible time getting my dogs used to it, they had diarrhea, I went homeopathic, and, boiled the water before giving it to them. I am wondering if it could be your water.

I add rice to her food to make her poop a little harder when she is having diarrhea. And I stay away from veggies since that makes their poop slightly softer (in our experience).

The recipe that I follow calls for 2 cups brown rice to 1 pound of protein. I usually use either ground Turkey, Chicken or beef. To that I add veggies, either fresh or frozen. I make it in my crock pot. I do add spice, usually a little dried basil, parsley etc... I stay away from rosemary and oregano since Pye has had a couple seizures. I'm cooking for only Pye, so I keep it in the freezer and defrost as needed.

No Pye's stools are normal. Do you give her city tap water to drink, or, are you on a well. When we moved to our current home (we live in a National Forest) and to well water for the first time, I had a horrible time getting my dogs used to it, they had diarrhea, I went homeopathic, and, boiled the water before giving it to them. I am wondering if it could be your water.
Hello Polly,

Thanks for your response. I am trying to give her boiled water now to see if it makes a difference. She was drinking just city water. I hope maybe that could be something that’s linked. Thank you.

A home cooked diet was prescibed for my cocker by a dietician from Tufts. My girl has hepatocutaneous syndrome (liver disease). She has been doing great on a diet of Beneprotein, ccoked skinless chicken breast, cooked barley, 2 eggs a day, BalanceIt CU, taurine (very important), fish oil capsules and OptiZinc. Stool is soft.
At the beginning of her diagnosis a year and a half ago, she was near death's door and had to have weekly infusions for a while (THANK GOD FOR PET INSURANCE) and since then has been maintaining on the home cooked diet. Previously she had been on a canned Prescription diet for allergies since her former allergist thought she was allergic to chicken.
What a difference a diet makes!
I don't know if a phone consultation with a nutritionist / dietician is an option for you or if the BalanceIT website could help with diet suggestions if your dog doesn't have a medical condition...

Back