Allergies and Food with CDM

gorgiegirl69

Hello Everyone,
looking for advice. I have a 12 year old cocker spaniel, Hudson, had him since he was 12 weeks. he was scheduled for surgery for his benign paw tumor but can't have it now because he has DCM found on his pre-op from grain free food.. He is showing no symptoms. he is now on Vetimed and a taurine supplement, seems to be doing well. My vet wants me to switch to non-grain free. I wouldn't mind this but he is soo allergic to foods that I can't bare to see him itching like a mad man. does anyone know of a food that is not grain free but their allergic cocker does well on it. I just don't know what to feed him at this point. HELP.

Attachments

• Hudson.jpg
    Hudson.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about Husdson. I had to google DCM (Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy).This appears to be a new phenomena related to commercial dog food.The FDA has an informative page and lists several brands implicated in this disease. I would avoid those brands. It's most common in dry food. You might want to see veterinarian who specializes in dermatology and allergies. Several members here prepare their own dog food including myself. My cocker spaniel has issues with commercial food too.

I also don't feed my cocker commercial. Here is an easy ratio to follow... One pound protean to 2 Cups brown rice, then all all the veggies you
want to add. I usually alternate in using 80/20 ground beef and ground chicken. I make it in my crock pot so the rice doesn't burn. I use one small
package of frozen mixed veggies then add some fresh made veggies each day from what I prepare for out dinner. Seasoning I use basil and or
parsley. My dog has had 2 seizures in his lifetime, both when I lapsed and gave him some commercial food, I always bought the #1 brand recommended by DogFoodAdvisor.com and he still had a seizure. But he's only had 2 and he's 8 years old.
Homemade Dog Food Recipes

That's the website I follow loosely, I would never add rosemary or oregano for Pye's because of his seizures but I think it's a great reference.

Hello Everyone,
looking for advice. I have a 12 year old cocker spaniel, Hudson, had him since he was 12 weeks. he was scheduled for surgery for his benign paw tumor but can't have it now because he has DCM found on his pre-op from grain free food.. He is showing no symptoms. he is now on Vetimed and a taurine supplement, seems to be doing well. My vet wants me to switch to non-grain free. I wouldn't mind this but he is soo allergic to foods that I can't bare to see him itching like a mad man. does anyone know of a food that is not grain free but their allergic cocker does well on it. I just don't know what to feed him at this point. HELP.
Hi!!! I cook for my 12 years old recipes from Dr Karen Becker! she is the best of the best! I algo complement his meals with honest kitchen-free grain dehydrated food!

I also don't feed my cocker commercial. Here is an easy ratio to follow... One pound protean to 2 Cups brown rice, then all all the veggies you
want to add. I usually alternate in using 80/20 ground beef and ground chicken. I make it in my crock pot so the rice doesn't burn. I use one small
package of frozen mixed veggies then add some fresh made veggies each day from what I prepare for out dinner. Seasoning I use basil and or
parsley. My dog has had 2 seizures in his lifetime, both when I lapsed and gave him some commercial food, I always bought the #1 brand recommended by DogFoodAdvisor.com and he still had a seizure. But he's only had 2 and he's 8 years old.
Homemade Dog Food Recipes

That's the website I follow loosely, I would never add rosemary or oregano for Pye's because of his seizures but I think it's a great reference.
but what about the vitamin portion, what do you add for the nutritonal value? can anyone recommend a good vitamin. He is on a Taurine Supplement, Levothyroxine and Vetimed & Apoquil. I also give him a probiotic every day.. now that he has this heart issue (which he shows no symptoms) except maybe a little slower.

I had been using GNC dog vitamins for years but have trouble finding it. You can compare commercial dog vitamins with the recommended values and see which is best. You might look up recommended food group servings for people to give you an idea how to create a complete balanced diet for your pet. Or look for dog food labled as "complete and balanced." It's intended to provide everything your dog needs.

I buy Zesty Paws Multiples, there are any number available on Chewy or Amazon that you can compare labels and decide which one is best for Hudson.

Back