Trying to find a specific breeder (help?)

P

Pogaf

Hi everyone - lovely forum you have here :) I checked for forum rules and didn't see anything against breeder inquiry posts, so please excuse me if any rules are being broken >_<

We just lost our gorgeous English Cocker, Scarlett, a few months ago and damn, she was the best dog ever. I know everyone says that, but seriously, she was the perfect little canine soul. I was lucky to spend my teenage and young adult years with her. We got her from a pet store back in 2002 (yeah, no more pet stores for me!), but we have her pedigree.

I'm trying to find her breeder to see if 1) they're still breeding and 2) if they have any distantly related pups as I would love to get another one in the near future and maybe one for my mom as well (Scarlett was her dog).

Her pedigree lists a Shirley Walters as the breeder, but I cannot find any breeders by the same name. If I remember correctly, she was from South Carolina or at least the southern states. I've tried tracking some of the names on the pedigree itself, but only one pops up and with no further info. I'm not sure how solid internet records are for dogs that were showing/breeding 15-20 years ago, so it's not too surprising.

Any idea on if this breeder is still around or where I may be able to find more info? Thank you!

If your beloved pet came from a pet shop the chances are she might have come from a puppy mill. If you have the pedigree, do you have the kennel name? That might be one way to look, but be aware that you might be perpetuating a puppy mill. Look back through the pedigree and see if you could find any other Kennel Names there too, but still be careful of millers.

Another way to look for a well bred puppy is to go to the breeder page of the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America. They have lists of reputable breeders and if those breeders don't have puppies they usually know someone who has or will have. English Cocker Spaniel Club of America, Inc.

That's always been a worry of mine. I'm not sure where the additional info that came with her is (all my mom sent me was the pedigree), but I will not support a puppy mill. I spent many years in the pet care industry, so I admit I was always wary of her origins based on my own knowledge, but she was otherwise well-bred. The pedigree is very vague. I have a Corgi and her Pedigree is crazy detailed compared to this one, which only lists the dogs' names.

I was able to match a couple more names (South Forty as the kennel name?) and found a few dogs bred by "S Walters", but no concrete info.

I did some prior research and was surprised to find two local English breeders in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, so I'm set if this search falls through. I'm in no rush, so I'll be contacting them if I keep hitting dead ends :) Thank you!

Hello Pogaf. I would like to welcome you to the forum but please re-register without using a proxy server. You may use the same email when you register.

Back