NJ based Brits seeking ECS pup (from show breeder!) with natural tail

Daisy2017

Hi, we have owned english cockers in the UK and have waited 5 years here to seek a new family member. We know the US breed standard is for a docked tail but had hoped to find a litter somewhere with tails on. No luck so far! We are simply accustomed to the long tailed look and would miss it in a family pet!
The ECSCA referred me to local breeders who have recommended importing a puppy from Europe but I'd like to maybe meet the breeder, know the pups background and not traumatize my puppy with that sort of long international travel.
If anyone knows of a reputable show-type breeder who might leave me a tail on I would be very grateful.
Thanks very much

Would it be possile for you to meet with a breeder before the puppies are born and talk with them? Maybe it would be possible to pick a puppy before the docking occurs and leave your puppy undocked. One problem I do see with that is it's very hard for the breeder to tell which puppies are show quality and which are pet at that point.

One of our members who doesn't post much on here is the breeder of some of the top ECS show dogs in the US. Their dogs have also been top obedience dogs and even field trial dogs. Hopefully he will see this post.

Thanks Karen. I would be more than happy to meet and talk with a breeder that might help us and I totally understand that the serious show breeders need to dock the whole litter early and wait to see if a pup grows into a champion look at 6 - 10 weeks. That has become the problem that I sadly didn't anticipate. In the UK there were lots of really dedicated pet/hobby breeders of great looking ECS (I've always visited the home of a puppy) but in the US I've only found ECS from serious show homes. In fact I've read up lots on 'how to choose a show dog' in the hope that a newborn could be recognised as more suited for a pet and I don't think anyone will take the chance. The only thing I did read is that very flat, fine coats are desirable and sometimes a little (undesirable) curl is evident at birth so that might be the one for me!! I'd love a little curl.
Any contacts would be appreciated.
If I do have to look at England for a puppy, has anyone had experience in flying a little one? Importing a puppy seems extreme. This is a last resort for us so hoping for a lead closer to home. This is not a process we are rushing into so I'd rather wait for the right dog.

Hi Daisy if I were you I would try to get to know some ECS breeders here in the US. A great place to do that is social media. FaceBook is a great place to get to know breeders.

I will try that Polly but so far I've found communication stops when I mention the tail! I 'only' ask for a well-bred, show quality, light blue roan female puppy but get offered unwanted adult dogs or those with non-standard colours or sizes or European puppy farmed ones shipped from Hungary!!! It's very disheartening :( I'm almost ready to compromise on the tail but will always miss it I fear....

I will try that Polly but so far I've found communication stops when I mention the tail! I 'only' ask for a well-bred, show quality, light blue roan female puppy but get offered unwanted adult dogs or those with non-standard colours or sizes or European puppy farmed ones shipped from Hungary!!! It's very disheartening :( I'm almost ready to compromise on the tail but will always miss it I fear....
Be patient Daisy, get to know the breeders and allow them time to get to know you. Undocked tails are not the standard here in the US.. and they are docked at only a couple days old. A breeder my not be willing to take the chance and allow a tail to remain on a potential US show dog for a unknown prospective home. Many breeders wait till the pups are several months old
before they decide which ones will go to pet homes. That is the issue here, that's way past the age for tail docking.

Daisy, kudos for wanting an undocked puppy. I didn't realize your search would be so difficult. I hope you are able to make arrangements with a U.S. breeder.

I haven't had a dog shipped from overseas but I did have a dog shipped across the US. Farley was a puppy and I persuaded my friend to fly with him in a carry on so that he could be with someone and in a pressurized cabin. She was the breeder of Polly's Pye and flew out with puppy Pye also. Ki was an adult. It is always tricky shipping dogs. It can't be below or above certain temperatures and there are fewer airlines that will fly unaccompanied dogs. It's always nerve wracking. I can't imagine a puppy being alone in a crate for that long. If you decide to get a dog in Britian could you go over for a visit and bring the dog back with you? Sometimes the cost of airfare for a person with a carry on puppy is very comparable to just shipping the puppy.

Hi Daisy, where in NJ are you? I'm also trying to find an ECS, and haven't had much luck. Every time I think I have one, something happens.

On YouTube there is a video of Calypso English Cockers and all of the dogs have natural tails...including the adults

Back