5 month old cocker spaniel puppy no longer listening

Chloe

Hi,

My 5 month old puppy has suddenly stopped listening to my partner and I. He was brilliant, coming back to both his name and to a whistle but has suddenly stopped now. We try to mentally stimulate him on walks as well as physically, but he is particularly bad in the mornings.

Any advice on how we can get him back to being good and coming straight back when we ask him rather than when he decides to?

Thanks,

Chloe

If it makes you feel any better, my 5 month old puppy doesn't always listen as well. I believe it's the age. I don't let her off the leash at all. And, if she's running free where I board my horse, she still has her leash on. The field is entirely fenced in, so she can't get out. But, w/the leash on, I can catch her easier.

You could try positive reinforcement with treats to get him to come when you call, or to a whistle. My wee boy is rising four months and still pretty good when I call but I'm training him with treats too so I can feel more relaxed when he's let off the lead.

Thanks for your message. We do positive reinforcement with treats and he usually comes back to both his name and his whistle.
From what I can tell it is just an age thing and that he will grow out of it! He is getting slightly better but still gets distracted with birds!

I have to stop Callie from chasing my chickens and the birds at the feeder, so I hear ya!

Do you have any pics? Is he an English or American cocker? I keep hoping the other people that got pups from my breeder will find their way here.

I have to stop Callie from chasing my chickens and the birds at the feeder, so I hear ya!

Do you have any pics? Is he an English or American cocker? I keep hoping the other people that got pups from my breeder will find their way here.
That would be neat!

Prey behavior intensifies through rehearsal. Try giving him an intense run in the yard for 10-15 minutes before you ask him to go for a walk. Maybe some of what you are seeing is just pent up energy and if you let the puppy express some of it, then he will listen better.

Last edited:
Hi Mel,

That’s a good idea- I’ll try it and let you know if it’s helped!

Fingers crossed!

That would be neat!

He’s an English Cocker Spaniel! Here are a couple pictures of him!

Attachments

• 3CB7DAFE-4752-4F78-A676-21B649DD90FD.jpeg
    3CB7DAFE-4752-4F78-A676-21B649DD90FD.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CF77DD5E-CA4E-4DED-802E-C7F8EDDD9698.jpeg
    CF77DD5E-CA4E-4DED-802E-C7F8EDDD9698.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 1F7FAA5F-9D8C-475C-9E7A-8D23946C362A.jpeg
    1F7FAA5F-9D8C-475C-9E7A-8D23946C362A.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
He is beautiful! I like the picture on the right where he is sleeping and looks so angelic. Does your dog like to play ball or tug? Sometimes, depending on the dog, toys will work better than food. Here is a tip that I got from an excellent trainer at my kennel club: When you do your recall and the dog starts towards you, start to run away.....it excites the dog's prey drive and the instinct is to chase you.....then when they "catch" you, reward them.

Last edited:
Back