Aggressive Adolescent

Charlie

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi, I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel pup who I've had since 8 weeks old.

My boyfriend brought him home after I constantly searched for dogs to adopt after my last adopted girl died last year from cancer.

I've never had a boy cocker before and he's such a handful, we take him to my boyfriends parents through the day while my boyfriend and I are at work and then he stays at ours every night and on weekends.

He's always been extremely pushy and a fond chewer. He's naughty if we're not giving him attention and he knows he's being naughty to get the attention. He calmed down with the biting about 3 weeks ago but for the past week he's been even more aggressive than before, and as his adult teeth are coming through, when he's running and jumping at you showing his teeth it's extremely painful when his teeth pierce through you but also I'm beginning to become scared. He's only like this with myself and my boyfriend, with everyone else he seems to be a friendly playful pup.

Even when we play tug of war he tends to force his teeth onto your hand. He's possessive when me and my boyfriend have a cuddle now too and starts biting us.

Really could do with some help as he can't be neutered for a month and I don't know how else we can calm him down and I don't want to be afraid of my own dog!!!

He also jumps up at us when we're on walks, if anyone has any help in stopping this please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_9259.JPG
    IMG_9259.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 11
He's only like this with myself and my boyfriend, with everyone else he seems to be a friendly playful pup.
He behaves like this because of your close bond. He's roughhousing with you as if you were another dog. Let him know this behavior is unacceptable. Say "ouch" and ignore him. When he begins to roughhouse substitute your hand with an chew toy instead.

You would benefit from an dog obedience class and now is the perfect time. The lessons learned will last a lifetime.

here's a helpful link: Puppy Nipping - Dumb Friends League

I would get him into an obedience class right away, it's not only training for your pup, but, training for you also. Nip this in the bud before it's more of a danger to you and especially to him.

Look up NILIF - Nothing in Life is Free your dog needs a bit of a reset. Do it now while he's young before its a real problem. Stop giving him so much attention. Make him work for what he gets. I do love and spoil my dogs but they are not the center of my universe and they know it.

They have to sit and wait to eat until I say its ok. If they want a cookie, I ask for a sit or a down. I dont pet them EVERY time they demand it. If I feel like it, I do it but because I want to not because its been demanded. Tug of war is fine for an in control dog but you may want to stop for a bit. and win more than you let him win and always end the game because YOU want to not letting him take the tug away. YOU own the toys and provide access to good things - not him.

obedience school is a great idea.

It's been awhile since I've had a puppy (or a dog for that matter), but I have spent a lot of time the last several years working w/horses. And I've seen this type of behavior in horses. It's a dominance thing. Both horses and dogs are social animals in that they live in a herd or a pack. When they come into your life, you become part of that group. Only one member of the group can be the alpha and if the human will not take it, the animal will.

I've never had that problem w/dogs, but have w/horses so I can't really tell you what to do. (Be different if it was a horse, then I could help you.) But obedience school is a good idea as well as learning how to become the alpha.

Out of curiosity, how does the puppy behave with your boyfriend's parents? You said with everyone else he is always the sweet and playful puppy--for them too?

Sounds like puppy thinks that you're another dogs - time to set some boundaries and ignore his bad behaviour - squeal and withdraw from play when he gets too rough - not to reengage to reward the behaviour.

Having had a first dog of my own 18 months ago - a standard poodle/labrador. She was (and still can be) a mega handful. A smart, large, high energy dog who needs attention and adores play. I went to weekly obedience with her since 8 weeks old - she's 18 months now, and whilst she can still be boisterous and jumpy when she forgets herself, I am seriously proud of my dog and her manners. Dogs re not easy and they are not delivered with good behaviour - they are like bits of clay and you need the tools to help shape them into the best version of themselves. Find the money and go to classes and learn those skills.

I grew up with dogs and I thought I knew dogs - boy, did I learn A LOT.

Sounds like puppy thinks that you're another dogs - time to set some boundaries and ignore his bad behaviour - squeal and withdraw from play when he gets too rough - not to reengage to reward the behaviour.

Having had a first dog of my own 18 months ago - a standard poodle/labrador. She was (and still can be) a mega handful. A smart, large, high energy dog who needs attention and adores play. I went to weekly obedience with her since 8 weeks old - she's 18 months now, and whilst she can still be boisterous and jumpy when she forgets herself, I am seriously proud of my dog and her manners. Dogs re not easy and they are not delivered with good behaviour - they are like bits of clay and you need the tools to help shape them into the best version of themselves. Find the money and go to classes and learn those skills.

I grew up with dogs and I thought I knew dogs - boy, did I learn A LOT.
Very well said!!!

Back