Burrs!?

ApolloShadow

Owned by
2 cockers
Sorry I've been gone from the forums for awhile, I've been lurking but I got a new job and I've been worn out.

Aaaaanyway today Artemis decided to get herself covered in burrs. She's getting groomed on Sunday but I'm not going to leave the burrs in. Is there anyway to work those burrs out of her coat or should I take some shears and clip them out?

They are mainly in her skirt, feet, and bottoms of ears. You know, the places I usually don't have them shave at the groomer. >_

I have this problem with Teddy too especially in the fall. I just hand picked them out--it's tedious or used a comb. Sometimes it took me a few days to get them all.

The worst part is that it was in the morning so she was damp. They look pretty matted in. Grrrr. I've gotten one out so far with a comb. It's like they are multiplying while I'm sitting here.

Coconut oil!!! She'll a bath afterwards, but they'll be so mush easier to comb out. And Artemis will have the softest, shiniest coat afterwards.

Cordelia picks up 2-3 dozen tiny, peppercorn size, burrs every week.

I'm convinced she only did this because she's getting groomed on Sunday. I happen to have coconut oil so I'll give it a shot.

Would it be bad if I waited until morning though? I don't want them to get more matted but I'm just dead from work today and the idea of giving her a bath is just not appealing. I got some of the larger ones out with a comb the ones left are the small ones on her feet (none between her toes, thank goodness) and on the bottoms of her ears).

I'm sorry to say but the longer you leave them in the harder they'll be to get out.

Last edited:
I figured as much. The coconut oil and comb has been working better so far especially for her the ones on her ears.

There are a few that I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cut out on her skirt unfortunately. Since she ran through them wet they are so tangled I can only feel them through the hair. It will just be easier to cut them out and take her skirt a little shorter when she gets groomed.

Paige so sorry I did see you post this on FB. Stormy would occasionally get one, they were huge and looked like balls covered in spikes. Awful, I worked them out with my fingers and boy were they sharp.

I think I got all of them out. Some I was able to work out with my fingers others needed a little coaxing with oil and a comb if they were deep. I was able to just use a dab so a bath will wait till morning thank goodness. She can have a few grease dots for the night.

I'll have to file 'coconut oil' away for the next time we get them. How exactly do you use it?

I've had good luck using a matt remover to get the 'big' burs out and them combing them out.

Look on the bright side..... better before than after her grooming session!!! ;)

Coconut oil was something I tried out of desparation, and wound up really liking it.

Just grab a handful out of the jar, and smear it into your dog like Joan Crawford with a handful of cold cream.

I got most of Cordelia's burrs out, using combs and fingernails. Flea comb went through like butter. Went to bed, and was surprised the next morning to see that Cordelia did not leave a grease mark on the bedclothes. She doesn't have particularly dry skin or coat, but it absorbed all that I had slathered into her. Coat looked a little bit greasy/damp, but felt wonderful. Didn't bathe her until much later in the afternoon.

Also did this about a week later to a neighbor's cat I was sitting. Temperature got to be over 100, and he was blowing his coat. When I brushed, he was all dead coat and dandruff. Only I just massaged him with a damp facecloth the next day. Didn't think either of us were up to a proper bath, LOL. Results were gorgeous, though.

Artemis was groomed successfully today (no burrs found) but we did have to have a small mat shaved out under her one arm where there was a whole bramble tangled I barely got out.

Not noticeable though.

Artemis is too wiggly to nab a photo of but I did get one of Apollo since you guys haven't seen him in awhile...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408305123.035987.jpg

Apollo looks wonderful. Glad that you were so successful with Missy.. maybe you can sneak a pix of her sleeping lol.

Thanks Paige, she looks wonderful. I bet their collars are a huge hit with the groomers.

:$%&#!: Note to self.... DO NOT read a post about burr removal just before going out to a new dog park!! I dont know what the heck they were -grass seeds maybe?? SUPER sticky, tiny and came in the hundreds. And of course, I didnt have a brush in the car. and my mother didnt have any coconut oil.

But, the dogs had fun - it was their first time off a leash in 2 weeks since we're STILL in FL. :censored: and it was a real dog park - with big and small dog sides, agility equipment and a doggy water fountain :wub:. I'll try and upload pics when I get home.

Artemis looks awesome. such a pretty girl.

Paige, Artemis looks very glamorous.

(I used coconut oil because it was what I had on hand...Crisco, maybe? After all, I bet you're frying down there!)

Back