Coat change after spaying... Help!

Jess&Luna

Hello!
I have a 19 month old working cocker bitch called Luna and after weighing up the pro's and con's decided to get her spayed in January following her first season 3 months prior. One thing I hadnt considered is the coat change that occurs... And its been a big one! Shes a solid black colour and WAS silky smooth and very shiny coated, short on the body with feathery legs but in the last couple of months her coat has gone dull and fluffy, shes developed curls around her back and her legs have got thicker feather and even her stomach now too. I groom her daily and trim her every couple of weeks but shes never been to a groomer or been clipped. Ive heard some people say the best way to manage a coat change is regular clipping and some say never to clip after a coat change... Who is right?! And is there any products people would recommend to improve the appearance of her coat and give it a shine back? Shes never going to be shown so its not a problem for me but she is getting hot a lot quicker because of how thick her coat has become... Not ideal this time of year! Helllpp!

Welcome Jess and Luna. I've never owned a female so I'm not familiar with this problem. Hopefully someone can provide some insight to your problem.

Welcome. I wish I had some answers for you, the females I have had were rescues who had already been spayed. Have you asked your breeder?
I also hope someone around here will have more to say.

Cocker's coats can change as they transition from puppyhood into an adult cocker. I've also heard that spaying or neutering can change a coat so who knows. I honestly have never heard of anyone who has been able to have a cocker without having them groomed. And I've never heard of anyone saying not to groom a cocker after their coat has changed. If your dog has never had its hair cut I can see why it's hot. The state of the coat might improve after its cut and, depending on where you live your dog might be blowing coat so it would become duller. That is common. You could try adding some fish or cocoanut oil to your dogs food to help bring shine to the coat.

That's what was confusing to me, Manuel. The OP says the dog has never been to a groomed or been clipped and is short on the body with feathers on the legs. I wondered what the OP does about the back. When a cocker is a puppy the back can be naturally short but can start to grow as it reaches adulthood. Has she been stripping the back or doing nothing to it? If nothing it might be time to either strip it or have the dog clipped.

Back