Cocker with rash and dry flaky skin

Kim Bowne

Hello I need some advice. I've been a groomer for 8 years now and I love it. I have this beautiful jet black American cocker the comes in every 2 weeks for a bath and gets a haircut every 4 weeks. So I'm looking him over and discover that he is covered in flakes and bumps all over his back and inside his back legs.he has never had anything going on for the 6 months I've been grooming him. What could this be caused by? A co worker said it could be dirty equipment which is true but I keep everything clean and sanitized he is getting older and putting wait on so it could be a thyroid problem also. Any recommendations would be great thanks!
Kim beavers Bowne on facebook

Welcome Kim. I moved your post so you get more replies. I doubt it's anything you did. It does sound like some sort of infection or allergy. It could also be related to his thyroid as you mentioned. Sounds like he needs to see a vet. IMO bathing him is the best you can do. I'd use a shampoo with oatmeal or aloe vera to calm his skin.

Hi and welcome. It could be a bacterial infection, the food, or maybe yeast also. I've dealt with all three unfortunately.
With the two I have now it has been yeast. We found that the oatmeal shampoos actually made it worse, yeast feeds on carbs. Have you mentioned it to the owners, maybe a trip to the vet to rule out problems.

Yes I would also say a trip to the vets is in order. Poor baby needs to have it tested and treated.

Poor guy, I too would point it out to the owner and suggest they have it checked out. Could be as simple a thing as that they are using a new shampoo at home, giving him a new food or treat or even got new carpet. Could be an infection but without a vet check I would hate to assume that it is any of these things, BUT I do know that the sooner it is addressed the sooner it can get better.
Good luck.

Years ago our cocker had similar problem with skin needed thyroid medication foe life took a while for skin to return to normal . She lived happily and with a healthy coat for many years. Our currant cocker is very sensitive to food we found 1 Brand that provides a shinny coat and frisky older cocker.

Back