Cordless clipper recommendations?

Liz

Owned by
2 cockers
I'm the new owner of two 5 year-old (neutered) buff Cocker boys.

They were freshly shaved already, so their grooming is really basic at this point. This gives a little time to get properly equipped and watch as many grooming videos as I can. I'm feeling pretty confident, though I'm not holding clippers yet;)

Those of you who use cordless clippers, what do you recommend? I saw a few that can be used with or without a cord - which seems like the best of both worlds. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking to spend $$$ on a set of clippers, but I'm also not looking for something cheap in quality.

Liz
~ not new to dogs - just to Cockers - will be getting into contact with area Cocker Club, getting PAL/ILP #'s, and helping these boys find activities that light them up. If they like water, they can try their paws at DockDogs. So many options, but first... clicker class.

I personally don't use a cordless but would like one. I think it would make it easier on you and your pet. They don't like it getting tangled in the cord and I think they feel the vibration of the clipper through the cord. I know Kelly who shows her dogs uses a Wahl.

Since you mentioned they are new to you- do you know how these dogs do with grooming? Some cockers can be awful to groom. My little foster girl is awful for clippers but is somewhat ok with scissors.

It might be hard to learn how to groom a cocker on a new-to-you dog if they already have negative associations with grooming.

Otherwise, I have no suggestions. I tried 2 cordless mini clippers and they literally cut NOTHING. I have an andis a5 that I've been using forever and it continues to work great so sadly, I cant justify a new cordless one.

Welcome to the forum and cocker ownership though :)

Since you mentioned they are new to you- do you know how these dogs do with grooming?

From what their 'guardian' told me, they are great for the groomer - have a "smiley face" next to their names. One of them nipped at the air when the groomer nicked him between his toes. If that's the case, I don't count that. Nick me and I'll do more than nip in your general direction ;) I'm getting their vet records transferred today- I'll see if I can get contact info for the groomer while I'm at it. I would hope that a groomer would be honest to a new owner who will be grooming at home?

So far, everything the former guardian said about them has been correct. I have made a point of "messing with them" - admiring their toes, putting my fingers in their mouths, rubbing inner & outer legs, holding their tails (good to know they don't explode if their tails stopped wiggling)... anything that crosses my mind. So far neither has been fazed by any of it. Their ears are getting cleaned and their faces wiped - I don't anticipate any trouble.

Last edited:
Correction... they are not 5... more like 6 1/2. DOB is listed as 12/1/08. The receptionist said that most owners don't know their dog's birth date, so it could be approximate or it could be accurate. I wouldn't think that would be the case with these guys, since they were given to his grandsons as puppies, but who knows.

I'm not concerned, though. They look to be in good health (only slightly over condition) - and they were being fed 'Ol Roy. I just read that Cockers tend to have a problem with chicken... after getting them a bag Kirkland Chicken & Rice... but if they did "well" on complete trash, I'm not too concerned.

Back to the clippers...

I tried 2 cordless mini clippers and they literally cut NOTHING

I was thinking that one of those mini/pocket clippers would be good for keeping the hair between their pads trimmed. Perhaps not? What do others do for keeping small areas, such as between the pads, trimmed?

I know Kelly who shows her dogs uses a Wahl.

Do you know which model she uses?

Does anyone have any experience with the Wahl 9590-210 Pro-series? I won't be doing any show-clips and I have only two middle-aged dogs that will be clipped.

Back