Cost of grooming

enh98

I'm curious about general costs of grooming. We are hoping to get a cocker spaniel in the next couple weeks/months and I want to make sure we can financially care for grooming needs. I'm sure it varies from groomer to groomer, but on average, what do you pay per session? I'd prefer the coat to be clipped short (is this what I see referred to as a puppy cut?) Here is a picture I found online of how I imagine the cut to be. Thank you for your time!cocker spaniel cut.jpg

This is really dependent on the grooming salon you go to! The one I go to charges a flat rate per breed whether my cockers are getting shaved, trimmed, whatever. It costs me $30 per dog every 10-12wks depending on how fast their hair grows.

When I lived in a larger city they charged me $60 a cocker spaniel, that was at a PetsMart.

I've since starts doing some self grooming which stretches the big grooms out to even longer stretches of time.

In Seattle, figure $60-$75, plus tip. Full bathe, cut, nails, etc.

What your picture shows resembles a puppy cut, yes. When you go to your groomer be sure and take that picture with you tho as lengths can vary groomer to groomer.
I myself am a groomer and I charge regular customers who prebook $38 and non regulars $45.

Wow...Amazing how cost can differ across the US...here in Tn. a full groom runs 35 to 45 plus tip (depending on where you go)

Wow...Amazing how cost can differ across the US...here in Tn. a full groom runs 35 to 45 plus tip (depending on where you go)

I've noticed living rurally has it's advantages, mainly in the grooming department. I love the place I take my dogs now, all the same girls are working, they know my dogs on sight --- so much better than the "big box store" in the city.

Agree, I avoid the "big box" groomers. We're lucky to have a family owned grooming shop within walking distance. It's very small, scheduling is 2-3 weeks out. Pretty much same price as "big boxes," and a much nicer experienc. I usually groom Cordelia myself.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you what I pay and I live in CA where every thing costs more. In my defense, I have my dogs groomed there, I board there, and when Julie bought the shop from the previous owner I stuck with her, and my dog's handler works there so she has always given me the family rate. I pay $52 for two dogs. Neither was in a puppy cut and Ki was a very full coated show dog and was show groomed. I still pay the same amount even though he's now cut back but I know I'm getting a excellent deal.

Last edited:
Karen...I would go there to!!! If I could get two for that price with someone I trusted I would take them. Grooming two is a all day event for me now days (I take lots of breaks...lol) and it is very hard work.

Confession: I did Cordelia's top half today. Her legs look like furry unkept and thick out of all proportion with the rest if her. :rolleyes:

LOL...Deborah, Hannah had the "casts" for a while, to avoid hurting her back I groom spread out over two days.....sometimes there are several days inbetween bathing and clipping. She has been know to sport some strange looking cuts. I do take her to have her nails done, it keeps the peace at home.

When we had all three, I use to take the girls to a local groomer who was wonderful with them, especially since since Zoe' was such a hard groom. She was very reasonable I thought at 45 per dog. I did touch ups at home, faces, underside of ears and kept them mat free which probly helped with the cost.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you what I pay and I live in CA where every thing costs more. In my defense, I have my dogs groomed there, I board there, and when Julie bought the shop from the previous owner I stuck with her, and my dog's handler works there so she has always given me the family rate. I pay $52 for two dogs. Neither was in a puppy cut and Ki was a very full coated show dog and was show groomed. I still pay the same amount even though he's now cut back but I know I'm getting a excellent deal.

WOW....great price.

LOL...Deborah, Hannah had the "casts" for a while, to avoid hurting her back I groom spread out over two days.....sometimes there are several days inbetween bathing and clipping. She has been know to sport some strange looking cuts. I do take her to have her nails done, it keeps the peace at home.

When we had all three, I use to take the girls to a local groomer who was wonderful with them, especially since since Zoe' was such a hard groom. She was very reasonable I thought at 45 per dog. I did touch ups at home, faces, underside of ears and kept them mat free which probly helped with the cost.

$45 is almost enough to justify the hour bus ride! :)

Back