Cut on lip?

ApolloShadow

Owned by
2 cockers
I was grooming Apollo and I nicked his bottom lip a little bit, kind of the corner of the lip. I rinsed it with distilled water, and it stopped bleeding within a minute of happening.

I feel bad. He didn't jump or do anything, I just noticed blood on my thumb and double checked his muzzle (where I had been shaving) and there was a bead of blood.

I got him a normal bowl with bottled water as opposed to our well water to drink out of rather than the communal bowl all the dogs share. I put some ice cubes in it so it'd be cold --- of course the minute I turn around Artemis sneaks in and steals two of the ice cubes.

I don't know if I should give him his dinner tonight, I'm worried about the kibble dust if he has a cut on his mouth. I plan on rinsing it again before bed though.

The plus side was before all this transpired I got a sanitary groom in, the insides of his ears, and his chest/neck.

I decide to touch up his face and I got a little over confident I guess.

Honestly now I feel terrible about grooming him. He doesn't seem to be in pain, and there's no blood in the water bowl or when I checked again just now.

He seems to be fine and isn't acting differently, he didn't even jump or move when it happened. He's such a trooper.

Ugh. I was hoping to groom Missy's face tonight because she has cheek hair that's growing out to her ears but I put away the shears for the night.

I just heard a clink and sure enough Missy is stealing more ice cubes.

Boo boos happen. You feel worse than he does and he has probably forgotten about it by now. :)

It shouldn't hurt him to eat at all. Dog's heal fairly quickly.

Did I ever tell you all what I did to poor Charley? I cut his tongue! Yup, mr. smarty pants decided to lick his lips when I was trimming. Scared me to death and bled like the very dickens too, I didn't think it would ever stop! Ever try to hold a dogs tongue to keep pressure so it will stop bleeding? lol Funny now but very scary then.

{{{Paige}}}} It happens to all of us.. Like Dotty says it will heal. Making him do without dinner would hurt him worse ;)

Use a little listerine on it since it's so close to the mouth.

Promise you, we've all done it. Apollo isn't concerned, so I wouldn't be, either. Like Polly said, just clean after meals.

Yeah, I calmed down after I saw his butt dragging an antler across the room to chew on. I lost all sympathy ;)

It looks closed up, no scab or anything. I rinsed it again after he ate, and I'm going to dab some listerine on it to be safe.

I cut lips all the time. Kermit and Jack Jack have big lips, so I trim the lip folds with a 30 blade. Every now and then I nick them. They don't cry, they just look sad until I give them a treat. Nope, I'm not well-trained at all.

Don't fret too badly or beat yourself up. I have done it (gulp, more than once). Maggie had a very plush face and I had to be very careful, but caught her lip several times.

Years ago, I snipped a spot on our dear Phreddie's ear while first learning to groom (one of those little folds) It was only a very small nick but it bled like crazy. My son cryed and cryed and begged me to never groom her again. I didn't in his veiw for the longest time.

Treats help heal all wounds. He will be fine, your heart may take a little longer.

Thank you for the reassurance.

DJ, my mom was helping me and she pretty much reacted the same has your son. It was an easy decision to put down the clippers for awhile and take a break.

Missy gets to have her whiskers trimmed today, though. I can't stand it;nabs gets these really long cat whisker-like hairs on her chin. I can deal with Apollo's goatee he grows, but not those prickly hairs.

I cut Marco's ear once. A pretty big cut too! I'll never forget it. I was 8mo pregnant and ran inside screaming to my husband with blood all over me. He just about fainted :(

In the end, it healed just fine but it did freak me out for a long time.

a dab of listerine should do it. or coconut oil if you have it after wiping it clean with water.

Back