desexing + hand stripping

ashleigh17

Hi everyone :)

I'm a newbie here so apologies if this sort of question has already been answered or if I put my foot in it some how!

I'm looking to get a cocker as my next dog and have done a lot of research, however I do have a few questions about grooming. I have only ever had labradors in the past so my grooming experience is next to nothing. Having said that, I'm not opposed to grooming, I think it will something I will enjoy.

My question relates to a few different factors; curly/wooly coats, desexing and clipping. Is it possible to have a desexed cocker who is hand stripped to avoid the wooly/curly coat? Or does desexing guarantee a wooly/curly coat even if you avoid the clippers (maybe due to hand stripping not being possible)? I am planning on desexing as I don't intend to show or breed etc.

My other question is if it is possible to obtain a semi-decent coat if you are diligent with a mars coat king and a slicker brush? Or does it have to be hand stripping? Also do bums and inside of ears need to be clipped (i.e. will I need to purchase clippers anyway).

Thanks everyone :) :) :)

I see you're from Australia so I'm not sure if you mean English cockers or American cockers. I think even English cockers require some trimming but you will definitely need clippers and scissors for American cockers. I'm not sure if neutering influences coats. Maybe someone else will answer this.

Hi, yes I mean english. Sorry for the confusion, in Australia english cocker spaniels are simply called "cocker spaniels" where as american cocker spaniels are actually called "american cocker spaniels" :)

Yes neutering does change the coat some. I have seen that often. It is possible to strip ( the back coat) and avoid that wooley coat. I use the stripper on mine. Fenway is neutered, his back coat is the most challenging, it is pretty wavy and grows the undercoat fast. When he was intact and showing his coat was different. It is possible though. You just have to work at it.

Well English Cockers have lots less coat so that will make your grooming much easier. I do not show my guys,they live a running,playing more farm type life. I always clip inside ear leathers and around bums. I do not like stripping Cocker Coats so I clip there backs and keep in more of a pet trim,even trimming off all hair in the hot summer months. My Mother is really good at stripping but I always felt I never had it quite right,it is almost an art form...every time I would look I saw more that needed to be stripped,it was like a never ending process to me...lol so now I just clip the back,so much easier. I commend anyone that keeps a Cocker in full show coat,there is nothing more beautiful and I have a full appreciation for all of there hard work.

I've asked Mark to stop by and answer if he has time. Since he breeds and shows Engies..

Ok thanks everyone :) , sounds like it will be quite a learning curve. I might even see if there are any groomers willing to give me a few lessons...

Ok thanks everyone :) , sounds like it will be quite a learning curve. I might even see if there are any groomers willing to give me a few lessons...
Do a uTube search also. I bet you can find a million grooming videos.

From what I've seen desexing does not affect the coat. Puppies will change their coat just as they grow up but spaying/neutering shouldn't affect it.

Yes Puppies do change their coat. I have seen much more coat come in once a bitch is spayed. When a bitch comes in season many of them will blow coat. Depends on the line. Amelia's line tends to hang on to their coat. I have seen many bitches blow coat. My friend has 2 once they were spayed their cost came in much thicker. Males, sometimes, it did happen with 2 males that I owned many years ago. They started to pattern out but once neutered the coat came back. Fenway always had a good coat, once he was neutered though, his back coat came in a little fuzzier.

Come to think of it, I think Cole's sister Ally blew her coat with her first heat.. had to show nekkid!

Wow! Polly, I have heard of several girls doing that with their first season. I have seen the coat come back as well when the people are vigilant about it.

I think it is pretty normal to blow coat when intact. Even with the Persians (in a sense the Cockers of the cat world in relation to coat nearly)...I have several that will blow their coat right after there first cycle. It is enough to make you cry cause soon follows the weight which also goes and is HARD to get back. I also feel that neutering/spaying changes the coat as they are holding onto more of it since the hormones are not playing a role any longer. Just my non-cocker experience LOL

Wow Heather I had no idea that the Persians blew coat as well. Do you have to bathe your show cats weekly to help maintain their coat? I do that and I believe it does help.

I sure do Nicole! All show babies get a bath every week. I start young and when we stop their show career is done. Since Himalayan coats are affected by temperature once they start blowing enough, what does come back is usually shaded so we pray we finish before that happens. Then I usually shave them down just to make life easier for me :)

Thanks Heather. Great that your babies are started early. Cockers are started very early as well with bathing and trimming. I knew that Himi was affected by temperature, ie their darker points. I did not know that their coat shades if it is blown. Interesting but makes total sense. Are there some lines that hang on to their coat more than others?

Actually yes Nicole. Some lines hold coat til they are about a year (Gigi) and then some that blow it at 8 months (Star)...mind you both girls are unaltered too. Considering Championship/Premiership starts at 8 months, blowing coat then is NOT good!!!! Typically tho, intact cats will blow coat when hormones kick in. Cas was 14 months by the time he started blowing his coat -- thankfully we had already made an impression with the judges and those that liked him, liked him for more than just his coat (he never had much of one anyway).

Wow!! Very interesting Heather. I am assuming that when they are altered their coat holds?

Yes, they hold once they are altered Nicole. They still have their seasonal sheding but nothing extreme like we would see when you have hormones in play as well.

Back