Did you guys know...

Mel Blacke

I was doing some reading on pancreatitis in dogs because I think that my elderly beagle might have actually had this problem for years---it can either be acute or chronic. Of course I wanted to see which breeds have a propensity for developing pancreatitis. Beagles weren't listed but Cocker Spaniels were! It is difficult to know whether they mean American or English or both although I found plenty of referrals to UK websites talking about pancreatitis in their cockers (which almost always means English). Here is a link:

Pancreatitis in Small Animals - Digestive System - Merck Veterinary Manual

Has anyone here heard about it or had experience with it?

I have seen several cocker owners say that their dogs suffer from Pancreatitis.

Kelly used to mention it. She warned members not to give greasy foods.

I also think that one of Karen's dogs had it, but, I could be wrong.

Well Fiona has always been a very pukey dog--she has been to the vet's frequently because of this--she has a very well documented digestive system by xrays because she is so curious and tends to get into things and pick them up--I am always worried that she is going to eat something she shouldn't. She usually doesn't actually eat what she nicks, except maybe my granddaughter's pacifiers, small sticks from the old tree outside--both of which we have learned to take great care to see that she has NO chance to aquire. My poor beagle has suffered from gastric issues and having done some reading, I have learned that it might be from chronic pancreatitis and it has gotten worse since she has gotten older. No vet ever suggested that a test might be a good idea but I was going to try both dogs on a lower fat food and see what happens. I am going to use a website called the Dog Food Advisor to help me choose a quality food with a lower fat rating, transition them to it slowly and give it 3o-60 days and wait and see what happens. I have notice that when they are on the poached chicken breast and rice, I don't have any puking from either of them and my beagle is noticeably more perky....it might not be a coincidence. I don't give my dogs greasy foods or anything with high fat content like ice cream or anything fried. They get kefir and some low fat yogurt occasionally but maybe I need to have a look at the fat content in their treats.

Last edited:
Well Fiona has always been a very pukey dog--she has been to the vet's frequently because of this--she has a very well documented digestive system by xrays because she is so curious and tends to get into things and pick them up--I am always worried that she is going to eat something she shouldn't. She usually doesn't actually eat what she nicks, except maybe my granddaughter's pacifiers, small sticks from the old tree outside--both of which we have learned to take great care to see that she has NO chance to aquire. My poor beagle has suffered from gastric issues and having done some reading, I have learned that it might be from chronic pancreatitis and it has gotten worse since she has gotten older. No vet ever suggested that a test might be a good idea but I was going to try both dogs on a lower fat food and see what happens. I am going to use a website called the Dog Food Advisor to help me choose a quality food with a lower fat rating, transition them to it slowly and give it 3o-60 days and wait and see what happens. I have notice that when they are on the poached chicken breast and rice, I don't have any puking from either of them and my beagle is noticeably more perky....it might not be a coincidence. I don't give my dogs greasy foods or anything with high fat content like ice cream or anything fried. They get kefir and some low fat yogurt occasionally but maybe I need to have a look at the fat content in their treats.
Let us know how things turn out on the new diet.

Farley has pancreatitis. In his case it comes and goes. Different things can contribute including stress. Interestingly he doesn't get sick when he is boarded but often will after he has been home for about two days...too much excitement. I keep an eye on him and if I see him beginning to become ill, I call the vet, and he prescribes Farley's medicine. We've kept under pretty good control for a couple of years and he hasn't had a really bad bout.

Back