Does anyone else's cocker do this

coco_and_april

Hello All,

I hope you are well and safe during this time. I am a new cocker mom and my puppy Coco is 3 and 1/2 months old. Whenever I touch her paws she goes crazy and will start growling and trying to bite. Right now, I am trying to show her that touching her paws is a good thing by giving her treats while I touch and she won't growl or try to bite if I am giving her treats, but I was just wondering if anyone else has a pup that does this and what you have done to solve this problem if you do have a pup that acts like this. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've never had that problem. And, I'll admit to being more use to training horses than dogs. But, I know that if this was a horse, I'd be saying that she's training you. You give her treats, then she thinks that's what she needs to do to get them. What I've done w/a horse that acts up when I try to do anything with it is to do what's called pressure and release. I'll take whatever is making them act up, and hold it next to them w/one hand while I' holding on w/the other. I don't move the object until they stop moving around. That's the pressure. Once they do, I remove it, that's the release. I keep doing this until I'm able to get them to stay calm no matter what I do w/the object. Don't know how well it will work on a dog, though.

Just a thought, but could she have something painful going on? My girl ended up with a grass dart in her paw earlier this year which was very painful and she wouldn't let me touch her paw for a while till it healed. Maybe get her checked out?

Back