Emergency Preparedness

The tape idea is a great one, I have the girls microchipped BUT not everyone finding your dog or cat will have a scanner. I also list my cell number on their tags, if they are not home most likely I am not home either so calling my home phone would get you a recording.

When the girls are boarded, I switch them from their regular collars for special ones they wear will visiting there. Their tags on the boarding collars listing the numbers of the boarding facility. When we are boating their collars list the name of our boat and our cell numbers.

Can you tell I'm a little OCD when it comes to my girls?

Last edited:
I have my dogs microchipped, and I also have tags on their harnesses. When we do do walks I usually put a harness on them, so I make sure that if something gets ripped off or broken.

I was reading an article the other day about dog thefts on the rise, and that's what scares me more than anything.

DJ you are not OCD. Or rather if you are then the rest of us are as well. :)

Paige you said something that made me remember what I was going to post.

It isn't so much preparedness for weather and stuff but would definitely come in handy in the case of dog theft. Tattoos. Has anyone here had their dog tattooed (or checked into it)? I think they do it either inside their ear leather or inside their leg.
I would imagine that you would have to go to a vet as opposed to a regular tattoo artist.

DJ you are not OCD. Or rather if you are then the rest of us are as well. :)

Paige you said something that made me remember what I was going to post.

It isn't so much preparedness for weather and stuff but would definitely come in handy in the case of dog theft. Tattoos. Has anyone here had their dog tattooed (or checked into it)? I think they do it either inside their ear leather or inside their leg.
I would imagine that you would have to go to a vet as opposed to a regular tattoo artist.

Some shelters do it when they are spayed/neutered, and I've met others who their breeders' had it done when they were puppies.

I'm pretty sure you might have to find a vet that has the tools to do it, I don't know if it's standard equipment.

I don't know how tattoos for dogs work, but my one goat has a tattoo in her ear. This was done by the breeder. I don't recall now how it was done-it's been too long ago. But, it wasn't hard, and it wasn't overly painful.

Sophie's breeder has her puppies tattooed so she can always identity them if they end up in a shelter or rescue in her area. She has a very small emblem on the upper inside leg.

Neat pictures and a video.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/09/12/water-spouts-spotted-over-lake-michigan/
http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/335029/250/Massive-waterspout-forms-over-Lake-Michigan

The first link has a good pic and I included that for Polly (dial-up) because I don't know if she can get the second link to work.

The second link is a short vid from a local news source of a waterspout over Lake Michigan. It is a fantastic video and teaching tool andI hope everyone gets a chance to see this video (2nd link) before they take it down.

Take note at about the 53 sec mark.....look at the middle of the waterspout....can you see the multiple vortices spinning?
That is not something that you get to see very often! Had that waterspout been on land (tornado) those seperate spinning vortices would have torn hell out of whatever was in their path.

Imagine, if you will, a large tornado - we all know they rotate as they move forward. Now imagine that same tornado having 2 or 3 or 5 even separate spinning and rotating vortices inside it.

Fantastic, awe inspiring and scarey!

Background for the novices - a waterspout is the same as a tornado except that it is over water. Should that waterspout move to land it would become a tornado. It's a name thing. :)

Are you watching Boulder Canyon, Colorado? All my friends are ok, but many evacuated, and some are stranded at higher elevations, well above the washed out roads. Fortunately, they are extremely experienced mountain folks.

Yes Deboarah I have been watching it very close, my friend Kira lives there...

My friend's grandmother lives in a nursing home, they've all been moved to the second floor, the first floor is ruined. Her mom is a nurse there, but she's stranded further up the mountain. Three other palshave been evac'd

Back