Essentials for grooming station

Bella Rose

Owned by
2 cockers
:paws::paws:I am thrilled that I am getting a laundry room remodel with a dog grooming station!!!! :)
I am so very excited and cannot wait. Currently Bella gets bathed in the kitchen sink and groomed on the kitchen counter. So after the time it takes with her, and I'm tired and grumpy I can always look forward (not) to 2 hours of cleaning fur and sanitizing the kitchen. (and can someone please tell me how fur gets under the crispers INSIDE the fridge??)

Since we will soon have 2 to bath, my loving husband declared I needed this more than he needed a wet bar in the man cave. (or it may have been my whining..) I have a 5.5 foot wall that will be where the sink (a deep one) and counter/cupboards will be for dog washing. Laundry will be on a separate wall, so I don't have to build something over top of machines.

I know I want the counter a bit taller than standard, a laundry style tub deep enough to mostly submerge them in, and a separate hand held sprayer.

What else should I plan for that I will I regret not doing??

Thanks!!

That sounds wonderful! Storage for the brushes Etc. and. GFI outlet for the dryer would be good. Mirrors are nice too.

That sounds neat! I would suggest getting a rubber mat for the bottom of the laundry tub. They're slippery. A rubber mat for the counter would be helpful too. It'll give her traction and more comfort.

Lily how wonderful! Don't forget about a grooming arm and loop. And.... tell us more about a second baby????!!!!!!

I will have a 2 door cupboard plus a drawer and another cupboard underneath as well as under the sink. Lots of storage that isn't shared as the laundry will also have a 2 drawer cupboard above the machines.
The GFI plug is already there, but I never thought about a mirror.. good idea.
I will be picking up a bathmat (the kind that goes in the tub) for the counter and sink also now :D
I think instead of a grooming arm, I am going to sink several good size hooks or loops (eyes??) into the wall at the right height. That way they don't take up any extra room and I can also use different ones.

Our new girl is 2, and will be here in a week. She is a very small sable only 13 pounds. :)
I love the fact that she is already fixed, housetrained and old enough to travel, go for walks

First, Congrats on the new family member. Can't wait to see pictures.

Now onto the grooming station. I am thinking of redoing my laundry room for a grooming area too. But it will probly come after a remodel on my bathroom and kitchen (not hard to wait as I have no one to groom right now) Have you looked on pintrest? if your search for "dog bathing stations at home" you will see a bunch of great ideas some elaborate some quite modest. B hates seeing me on pintrest, lol.

Pintrest is what gets me in trouble, and keeps hubby's to do list long :)

All the hard stuff is pretty well done and drywall is up with the first coat of mud on.
None of the existing plumbing or electrical could be used, everything needed to be relocated.........hubby says he needs to go back to work to rest!
Tonight we will get the machines back in place and hooked up and hopefully the sink and cupboards dry-fit in place.
Then I can work on wall repair, paint, tile over the next couple weeks.

This weekend was a complete write-off.
We broke the counter top fussing with it. That after a long list of smaller set backs that left us completely fed-up.
After cleaning up the garage and loading all the recyclables in the truck, I took the dogs with me thinking we deserved an ice cream cone on the way home.
However.........2 adorable little dogs locked me out of the truck at the recycle drop off and instead I had to walk home in the rain to get hubby to drive me back to the truck with a second set of keys. :mad:

Sorry things have been going rough.
However.........2 adorable little dogs locked me out of the truck at the recycle drop off and instead I had to walk home in the rain to get hubby to drive me back to the truck with a second set of keys.
little devils!

oh no....but lol on the lock out. They must have heard what you were building. Dare I ask if they still got ice cream? Hope that things go smoother from now on.

Oh no! I guess next time you go somewhere with the little darlings, take your cell phone. :poodle::poodle:

so glad it wasnt hot!

Reminds me of the last time I was shopping for a van and one salesman showed me one with a big square lever to open the door. I said "NO" and the salesman wanted to know why - I told him it would take about 3 trips before the dogs would figure out how to let themselves out.

They did not get their ice cream....but I didn't murder them..... :p
My car has the buttons on the door, so I can't get locked out as I can always unlock with the combo.
The truck is newer and doesn't have an ignition key, just the button...so phone, keys, wallet etc were all in my bag safely locked up with the pups in the truck!

Now that I think about it - I truly hope there were no security cameras........I spent several minutes outside trying to convince them to unlock the door.
I am sure if there were, I provided the laugh someone needed in their day ;)

Cockers4Ever - I was telling one of our branch managers this story, and he told me several years ago he had a lady come into his workplace in the hot summer who was only dropping off an envelope, left her dog in the car and the dog locked her out.
They both spent the next 45 minutes hosing down the car with cold water to keep it cool until the locksmith arrived.

You need a shelf or two to set stuff like the diluted soap solution/conditioner/rinse on above the sink whilst you are doing the deed. A towel bar beneath that shelf would also be useful so you can put blotting towels on it for right after you are done. A tub that is flat bottomed yet no deeper than a kitchen sink but wider and longer than a kitchen sink would be my ideal choice--I don't know if they make them like that however. (To save your back). A swivel spray arm and Hot/Cold handles that are easy to adjust are important.

Back