First time at puppy parlour and training advice please

Carazmaline

Hi everyone,
I just want to thank everyone for their advice with toilet training issues a month or so ago - George is doing great and takes himself out all the time for the toilet now (the only time he doesn’t like to us when it’s cold and raining but you hear him look outside the dog flap and come back in but as soon as he sees you he goes out to the toilet - it’s as if he is saying if I’ve got to get wet your coming out too)
Anyway I took George to his first puppy parlour yesterday and when I got the call to pick him up I was so proud he came running straight to me and they said he was so well behaved - much better than they expected! He can now do a few tricks like sit, paw, lay down and roll over! However has anyone got any advice they could please offer on how to train him to stay! His recall is getting there as is getting him to drop things (socks seem to be his favourite and I’m struggling to train my husband to close the sock drawer!) so I know for give and come it is just a matter of perseverance and time but the wait just isn’t happening - he will sit but as soon as I go to move he moves as well
Thank you for any help and advise x

Attachments

• BB4BDCCA-8DFF-4149-8006-5B5DC2915AFE.jpeg
    BB4BDCCA-8DFF-4149-8006-5B5DC2915AFE.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 88FB6F3B-8418-4CBB-9879-4E715067E710.jpeg
    88FB6F3B-8418-4CBB-9879-4E715067E710.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 97CC54A9-C6C3-48ED-96CC-92508FB3CAAE.jpeg
    97CC54A9-C6C3-48ED-96CC-92508FB3CAAE.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 9C7EC892-8174-4BF8-B6A8-5BD716556CD0.jpeg
    9C7EC892-8174-4BF8-B6A8-5BD716556CD0.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
Cute pictures. Teaching "stay" is a must but you probably need "sit" to go with it--it'll be easier that way. You can do this on your own or take an obedience class. Here's a youtube video and link that teach you the command. I can't believe he trained this dog in a day. We were in a class and I think it took several days. We also used a choke chain and long lead for correction which might not be necessary. Once George is consistently successful with stay, you can increase the difficulty with longer times before you release him. Walking around him or back and forth before releasing him will also make it more difficult. If he's ever unsuccessful, just go back to the previous stage he was successful.

Teaching your Dog to "Stay" - Dumb Friends League

Cute pictures. Teaching "stay" is a must but you probably need "sit" to go with it--it'll be easier that way. You can do this on your own or take an obedience class. Here's a youtube video and link that teach you the command. I can't believe he trained this dog in a day. We were in a class and I think it took several days. We also used a choke chain and long lead for correction which might not be necessary. Once George is consistently successful with stay, you can increase the difficulty with longer times before you release him. Walking around him or back and forth before releasing him will also make it more difficult. If he's ever unsuccessful, just go back to the previous stage he was successful.

Teaching your Dog to "Stay" - Dumb Friends League
Thank you so much for your help a George and I will start trying this tomorrow! X

OK, so he's about a month younger than Callie. At this age, it's hard for them to sit for long. I've been working some on this w/Callie, but I'll admit it's not high on my list. What I do is tell her to sit, then stay. Then, I'll take a step away-that's it. If she stays, I praise her and get all excited. Then I'll tell her again, and move just a little farther away. If she doesn't stay, I make her sit again, then try again.

Thank you - we have started trying this now but he just gets so excited but he will get there, thank you again x

Back