Fur allergies

Melita

Hi,

Than you for adding me to the forum. I'm looking for some advice on what the cocker spaniel is like with allergies and would appreciate any experience or advice.

My husband suffers from fur allergies. They are controlled and although he is severely Allergic to horses with domestic pets he is used to, he isn't as affected. We already have 3 cats and he was brought up with Labradors. His mum always felt it important that he was used got used to animals.

We have considered getting a hypoallergenic dog, but after researching them a cocker spaniel is a really good fit for our family, plus the breeder is local to us and we can be assured comes from a good healthy background and home.

I realise the cocker is not the most recommended dog for people with allergies and is a medium haired dog but I'd love to get know more information and experience cocker spaniel owners have with fur allergies before we make a final decision Are they all heavy shedding or does it depend on how you groom/ trim the coat?

Many thanks !

Welcome Melita. I haven't heard cockers affecting allergy sufferers any worse than other dogs. American cockers do have long coats so they'll require routine grooming. Without regular grooming, hair and dead skin accumulate in their coat which ends up on your floor.

Welcome Melita! I think a great way for you to see if your husband would be able to live with a cocker would be to visit the breeder. Have him get on the floor with the pups, and see
how that goes. My friend is very deathly allergic to cats and she also raises cockers. Another breed I bet would be great would be a poodle.

Actually cocker spaniels are listed as being good for people with allergies on some web sites. I think the best are poodles and porties.

Welcome Melita! I think a great way for you to see if your husband would be able to live with a cocker would be to visit the breeder. Have him get on the floor with the pups, and see
how that goes. My friend is very deathly allergic to cats and she also raises cockers. Another breed I bet would be great would be a poodle.

I agree w/this. According to my allergist, I'm allergic to both cats and dogs. But I've noticed that very few dogs or cats really seem to bother me. I go to a Bible study at a friend's house on Tuesday. She has 5 dogs and a cat. They don't bother me. The ones that do bother me are the ones that aren't well kept-especially if the litter box isn't kept clean.

Back