Grooming and Conditioners

davec921

Owned by
1 cocker
hi all still wori\king on getting the photos up.
In other words still taking them an have not put any in the computer.
It is so hard to get a good one of tabby since she is all black. She just looks like a lump of coal. lol
Any ways had a question.
I have read on here in a few threads about brushing an conditioner an such.
I did a search an not much came up.
Was wondering if there was a good thread on grooming an trimming the coat an paws. Trimming nails is easy. I give plenty of treats. lol
I plan on taking her out in the woods an don't want mud balls to build up between the feet.
All so what is a good way to get tabby comfortable with brushing in general.
An what are all the brushes for?
Sorry for all the questions. thanks
DAVE

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I moved your post so it would be easier for others to see your new question.

Dave
I'll tell you my routine. But, I'm sure that others who groom show dogs and have lots of experience will have more pointers. I keep my dogs in modified puppy cuts. I am letting their backs grow out a little now, and their leg feathers are a little longer. But I think what's important no matter how you keep your cockers coat is regular grooming. I bathe my Pepper who has a skin condition weekly. The others are monthly to maybe 5 to six weeks. My Pepper I use Pyoben shampoo on, I used to get it from the vets but googled it and found it online. I change off with my others, I use coat handler or Crown Royale shampoo and I use coat handler spray leave in conditioner on them. Right after the bath when they are wet I spray on "Stuff" a silicon leave in conditioner that Linny told me about.

I brush my dogs almost daily. Every day that I either close the shop, or am off. (I am in management of a retail store) When I groom, I tip nails, do ears using blue power, and clean eyes and use drops on those that need them.

My tools are: A slicker brush, comb, a coat rake that takes out the undercoat.

I clip myself, I have 3 oster clippers. And one small size oster that I sometimes use on faces or touch ups, and I have thinning shears that I use all the time, and curved and regular scissors. I also have a mat breaker but I dont use it since I comb and groom so often I don't really have to deal with matts..

Nice reply Polly. You have a great grooming regimen. Cockers require a minimum of hair care--there's no way around it.

There is no way I could keep up with Polly's grooming. I groom 3x a week. I use a pin brush, rake, and a mat breaker. I do use the mat braker since Dylan is very prone to mats, probably since he has a full coat and is very active. I clean ears each time I groom. I wash faces and do eye drops daily. I take mine to the groomer every four weeks. After two weeks I bath. I have black and white dogs and live in a very dusty area, they quickly become black and gray. Since I walk them on concrete, I don't have to do nails and the monthly trip to the groomer keeps them under control.

Thanks for all the tips. keep them coming.
I did not start a new thread since I figured I had this one open all ready.
But do have a suggestion.
Is it possible to make a grooming only section.
So when you bring up the main page you would see Main category, Then the others that are there all ready then Grooming.
Just wondering. That way it would be easier to look this stuff up in the future.
Thanks again later
DAVE

That's a great suggestion Dave. Our board is still new with few posts so I'd hate to start a new forum just for 1-2 posts. What I can do is start a grooming section once we have enough posts. I'll take your post and move it there then. In the meantime, try the search feature for subjects you're interested in. ^_^

I have a different routine all together, but it's because I have some show dogs and some retired dogs that are in short hair cuts.

My show dog is bathed weekly (sometimes every two weeks). I use #1 All Systems Botanical Shampoo or Vellus or Laser Lites Lanolin shampoo. Sometimes I use Nature's Specialties Plum Silky. I have a big collection. For conditioner I use either Laser Lites Lanolin conditioner or Crown Royale. I blow dry him fully and brush him out, ensuring there are no mats. I very rarely brush in between baths. He doesn't mat, so that helps.

My two retired show dogs are in short cuts (well, Grace is shaved right now), and so they get bathed every 6 weeks or so, depending on how dirty they are. I don't brush them in between either.

I trim nails with a Dremel every other week, and I do clipper work every 2-3 weeks on their faces and bums. I check ears every other day, and clean ears weekly (usually).

I use a slicker brush for ears and feet when drying, I use a Vellus pin brush for brushing out and drying my show dog. I use a comb when trimming feet, that's about it.

For a spray (de-tangler or anti-static) I usually use Crown Royale Bodifier spray.

I use either Wahl Bravura or Laube Speed Feed cordless rechargeable clippers set on #10 blade settings. I clean the lip folds out with a #30 blade, to prevent the collection of crumbs and gunk in there.

Hope this helps!

Wow Great Kelly! I can't wait to see Gina's and Robin's posts. Silly me, I didn't remember to check if Crown Royale had a leave in conditioner! I will have to get some! I love the smell of Crown Royale. I know it's Linny's favorite also.

hi all still wori\king on getting the photos up.
In other words still taking them an have not put any in the computer.
It is so hard to get a good one of tabby since she is all black. She just looks like a lump of coal. lol
Any ways had a question.
I have read on here in a few threads about brushing an conditioner an such.
I did a search an not much came up.
Was wondering if there was a good thread on grooming an trimming the coat an paws. Trimming nails is easy. I give plenty of treats. lol
I plan on taking her out in the woods an don't want mud balls to build up between the feet.
All so what is a good way to get tabby comfortable with brushing in general.
An what are all the brushes for?
Sorry for all the questions. thanks
DAVE

The key to success on grooming a Cocker IS the training. When I send home puppies I have an instruction booklet that has a page devoted to getting a dog used to the process. My puppies have their first haircut at 5 weeks and again prior to their going to their new homes.

I recommend folks invest in a rubber bath mat to put on top of a raised surface, have all of your tools handy. A slicker brush, pin brush and a comb. Nail trimmers if you are going to do them.
Put the pup up on the raised surface (NEVER walk away) and give them a quick once over, praising them when they are good and verbal corrections when they are not, use a calming hand when they squirm. Always end on a positive note.
If you do this every couple of days. Your pup will get used to the 'process' and be well behaved for you or the groomer when the time comes.

IF your puppy protests DO NOT STOP, this will reinforce the behavior, if "if I jump around, cry, whine or be bad, Mom/Dad will cease and I win"
If you plan on trimming with a clipper yourself, turn it on, and lightly rub on the pups body, starting at the tail area and every lesson, move closer to the head and neck area. No need to clipper yet. You might want to invest in a grooming table with a grooming arm and noose as you progress, just so when the time comes you can properly restrain the puppy while you hone your skills.

If you do not plan on grooming your pup yourself. Make sure you make an arrangement with a professional groomer every couple of weeks, to do the same. They should be willing to work with you to condition your pup for a life of grooming experiences. Typically for this 5-10 min once over...I charge $5-10 for my time, depending on how long I work with the pup.

I purchase all my grooming products from Cherrybrook

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.CatShow/catid/88/cname/Dog_Grooming_Supplies

Clippers and blades try www.petedge.com

I use all Crown Royale Shampoo and Conditioner (Forumula 2) this is HIGHLY Concentrated and while expensive, for your initial purchase, will more than likely last you YEARS, depending of course on how often you wash your dogs if you buy it by the gallon...lol

It has a wonderful fragrance that lasts a long time. A lot of dog show people use it.

I bought a case of it a couple of years ago and wash the boarding dogs with it and I still have one gallon left...Thats a LOT of baths.

I have been a professional groomer for over 35 years and have groomed countless dogs and puppies. If I can help you in anyway. Feel free to ask.

Gina

Last edited:
Clinton Oaks said:
I recommend folks invest in a rubber bath mat to put on top of a raised surface, have all of your tools handy. A slicker brush, pin brush and a comb. Nail trimmers if you are going to do them.
Put the pup up on the raised surface (NEVER walk away) and give them a quick once over, praising them when they are good and verbal corrections when they are not, use a calming hand when they squirm. Always end on a positive note.
The rubber mat is a must. Gabby fell off the table once and I was scared to death. :redface: It gets real slippery with all the cut hair. Thanks for suggestion. A rubber bath mat is such a simple and practical idea. I should place one in our utility sink too during bath time.

Thank you for all these good ideas!
Living on a working ranch my babies do get dirty even though they are 110% house dogs.
I try to keep them clean and in nice coat. I am not a show person so I don't know how to do all that fancy grooming(my hats off to you that do..what allot of patience and skill that must take) but because I take my dogs to nursing homes, school and hospice patients they need to be clean.
I have found a product we use on our horses called show sheen, it is a spray that can be applied to my shampooed and conditioned dogs either dry or wet, it is fairly in-expensive and puts a nice polish on the hair that will last a long time, there is no alcohol in it. I buy it at our local tack store as that is all there really is around here ;)
Because Show sheen coats the hair with a bit of silicone, it makes brushing out twigs, leaves, burrs..etc a breeze. Every body likes to save a penny here and there now days and this does the trick for me. ;)

Thank you for all these good ideas!
Living on a working ranch my babies do get dirty even though they are 110% house dogs.
I try to keep them clean and in nice coat. I am not a show person so I don't know how to do all that fancy grooming(my hats off to you that do..what allot of patience and skill that must take) but because I take my dogs to nursing homes, school and hospice patients they need to be clean.
I have found a product we use on our horses called show sheen, it is a spray that can be applied to my shampooed and conditioned dogs either dry or wet, it is fairly in-expensive and puts a nice polish on the hair that will last a long time, there is no alcohol in it. I buy it at our local tack store as that is all there really is around here ;)
Because Show sheen coats the hair with a bit of silicone, it makes brushing out twigs, leaves, burrs..etc a breeze. Every body likes to save a penny here and there now days and this does the trick for me. ;)

I know that Robin uses a product simular to the Show Sheen. I use "The Stuff" occasionally, but, not all the time. I find that if I use a good shampoo like Crown Royale, they don't need the silicone. BTW Gina, I did get a bottle of the Crown Roayale leave in conditioner, and, I just love it also.

Where do you get the Crown Royal?

Karen
I got it from a vendor on ebay, but I think Gina has a link to get it on her reply above me. I love it more than coat handler. I never tried coat handler shampoo only the leave in conditioner.

For those of you in WA/OR area, I think the vendor 3-C's carries it. They're almost always at dog shows in the area, and their prices are reasonable.

I see it EVERYWHERE . . . I swear by the conditioner for my dogs, as well as the Magic Touch grooming spray.

Thank you for the links Kelly and the other ideas from everybody else too! I am going to check those out! :) this board is great!

You're very welcome Shelly - we really do try to help each other a lot here :)

Back