Grooming kit

Cocker Dad

Owned by
2 cockers
I have decided it is time to get a grooming kit for home. I need advice on one that is good but not expensive. I also will need to learn what to do so my boys will not be the laughing stock of the local park.

As far as learning how to groom, there are several that I have seen on u tube. Look at several, some do a better job on explaining. Practice makes perfect. Your first time, may not be the greatest but it's hair and it grows back.

Randy I would invest as much as you can afford on a good pair of clippers. You will need a 10 blade and a 7F blade. But the vids that Nicole mentioned will also more than likely recomend what blades to use. Some clippers have blades that are adjustable.

Good clippers will be in the neighborhood of $100.00 but they really pay for themselves. I find great deals on eBay.

I still use the old fashioned Oster Golden Clippers, most here have moved on to Andis I think.

Yes of course good clippers are a must. I have a pair of wahls and a pair of Geib. I like them both. A grooming table really makes your life easier as well.

I used Oster Turbos for many years...they are work horse clippers and last forever,only when my last pair gave out I tried the Andis Pro's and really like them.They are much lighter and easier on my hands and wrist as I use them for dogs and horses. I have found for best results what ever type clipper you use make sure it has at least 4000 spm, this will be fast and strong enough to go through any coat. Also a couple good brushes,metal comb,thinning scissors for topknot and I use curved scissors for feet and face...lots use straight scissors but I can't cut a curved paw with them. It is best to get at least mid grade brushes and scissors and add or upgrade as you can.

The clippers are the first step, and the most expensive. I have the Andis AGC2 clippers, which I like very much. They usually ship with a #10 blade. This, and a cheap pair of drugstore hair cutting scissors may be all you need, to get started. The first thing I bought was kids' safety scissors!! (Still good for trimming that stray bit by the eyes. Yes. I know it's called the stop.) If you have the right table, or Kitchen counters, you can get by without a grooming table, and get a clamp on grooming arm. If you go this route, make sure to have a non-skid surface for doggie to stand on. An old rubber bath mat is perfect. Do check ebay and craigslist and yard sales!!

Polly! I wondered where I got the idea! Thank you! Mine is actually the rubber mat under the food and water bowls, because that I had already;-)

Randy I have a pair of Andis I'll sell to you for $50 plus shipping. I just bought a newer style. LMK if you're interested.

I think that sounds like a good deal to me. I would have to send you a money order. I could have it in the mail next week. My neighbor that watches my boys knows how to cut Cockers. She gave Rusty a cut for me last a few months ago. He is almost ready for one again and R.J. could use a trim. She just sat on the floor to give Rusty his haircut. I know she would help me the first time or two.

Personally I like having a somewhat decent pair of scissors. Last year (or maybe the year before??) I bought shears and thinning scissors from UPCO at what I felt was a great price. Their website is awful (IMO) but the price was worth it.

ETA: you're SO Lucky to have someone to teach you the ropes!! I looked into finding someone to give me a couple of lessons and it was going to be pretty expensive

FWIW, I like having the dogs off the ground. I find they behave better and my back is spared quite a bit of pain.

Last edited:
Randy, if you decide to continue grooming, my money saving tip for blades is to watch for the really odd numbers to go on sale. Everybody buys a #10 or a #7, but I've gotten screaming deals on #8.5, and #5. I even have a #3.75 that I really liked for Nicholas.

Randy, ask Polly about my first attempt at grooming Audra...LOL I was petrified!!! In tears and scared out of my mind. Now I groom my cats and have never had an issue, even when I got one that was out of control - in 14 years I was only bit ONCE and it was by a kitten who was flat upset and had reason (my fault totally but it hurt like hell!). Polly sent me to watch some videos of how to trim the face/head as this is what was really scaring me. I mean a regular size clipper with a 10 blade around the eyes was just REALLY uncomfortable for me -- the first time, I trembled and yes, I cried (Audra washed my tears away)...we got through and although it wasn't great - I was just happy I didn't hurt her and that she was so patient with me. And that Robin prepared her to tollerate the grooming. It got so much easier each time and now I am not afraid at all of doing it other than some healthy caution. Because it does take me every bit of 4 hours to groom Audi myself, I am now taking her to a friend to be groomed just to save me time since I have 8 kittens to keep up with. Eventually we will at least go back to me grooming and maybe trade months with Darren....he does her and I do her and then he does her and I do her...etc

I agree on the clippers -- I have Golden A5 Osters and I LOVE them! I have been breeding 14 years and showing 15 years and I swear I have had these clippers 12 years at least. I buy my blades from Revial when they go on sale and I can get 2 for the price of one. I only use 10 blades and tend to switch blades as I trim because they get hot and I am doing 7-10 cats at a time (only making that mess once!).

Also Revival used to have 5 inch Greyhound combs (cheap knock offs but very nice for the price)...I would buy them in bulk and send with kitten kits but haven't gotten any more in awhile since I haven't had many babies til this year. They are as low as $5 each...and I think one when not buying in bulk might be $6 or so. They are priced pretty good there but you have to watch the shipping as it is crazy sometimes. www.revivalanimal.com

Last edited:
This is the very first year I have had my blades sharpened. At first I told Robin that they were awful after I sent them away, but,
it was my clippers needing adjustments. After I sent my clippers away the sharpened blades worked like butter! This is especially great for your finisher blades since they are more expensive. I use a 7F and a 4F.

I paid $45 to have one set of my clippers refurbed and I'm going to send my others in one at a time, I also love my Oster Goldens, I have 4 of them.

And I paid $5.00 each for my blades to be sharpened.

Although Robin gave me an expensive scissor in its own case (which I need to remember to send back to her) I still perfer
the cheap friskars you can buy in the Walmart notions dept.. I use them till they dull then give them to Vern for his paper and tape. I also prefer the cheap thinners.. Robin watches out for those for me. I think she gets them at the dollar tree.

Polly I think that I read somewhere that you can sharpen scissors by cutting threw foil, anyone else heard of that?

Last edited:
DJ
My Dad was a barber by trade and could sharpen his own blades and scissors, I think he used a stone. I don't know how.
I never tried foil. My scissors cost $8.00 and they last me maybe a year. I think that's good!

I wonder if your dad honed the scissors, Polly, like you do with a knife. I think if you're careful to keep them honed you rarely need to actually sharpen them. However I'm not really good about honing my knives even and I think I would have to hone my scissors every day I used them if I wanted them to stay sharp so I get my sewing scissors sharpened also.

Karen maybe! I have never had to replace my sewing scissors since I hate to sew lol.. all I do is cut thread with them.

Back