Grooming prices?

Newmommie

Owned by
1 cocker
I called our groomer today to find out her charge for the new cocker,it's $50. and that includes ear cleaning,anal glands,nails & tax. (I've always given a tip also).

Big dog doesn't get groomed & it's been awhile since we've used the groomer's services. She charged $40 for the little terrier.

Have charges gone up this much in 18mos or do groomer's charge more for spaniels? I told her I will want a "puppy cut". (I think I picked up that info on here? Keep it short).

I know some of you are groomers? Yesterday I cut off that spikey hair on top & she sat there like an angel. I was surprised how soft her fur is! I'd never been around a cocker in my life until we went to the shelter & adopted Buttons.

I'm in awe of all of you with multiple cocker's & all having long silky hair!;)

Pati
$50.00 sounds about right to me, depending on where you live.
That's one reason I learned to do mine myself!
:)

Not sure where you live Patti, but where I live the groomers are charging over $70 for Cockers. I used to groom out of my home, and I charged $50 . . . that was a few years ago now.

With 3 Cockers of my own, it's just cheaper to groom them myself. Of course, since I show them, I groom more often than most.

Not sure where you live Patti, but where I live the groomers are charging over $70 for Cockers. I used to groom out of my home, and I charged $50 . . . that was a few years ago now.

With 3 Cockers of my own, it's just cheaper to groom them myself. Of course, since I show them, I groom more often than most.

Wow Kelly! Maybe I'm a little behind the times cost wise.

Thanks,mainly I wanted to reassure my housemate the charge was OK. He's paying for it afterall! I suppose I should also buy some shampoo/conditioner from her rather than use the stuff I bathed the terrier with? Luckily we have a large,deep kitchen sink & she isn't too heavy for me to pick her up.

While I'm at it I have a question about big dog. He did fine @ this groomer's when he went there with the terrier. Then we took him alone & he howled so bad she called to come pick him up & said never bring him back again unless he was on tranqs. Well needless to say I didn't want to drug my dog so he's gone without grooming for too long. Someone suggested I give him Rescue Remedy drops to calm him down. Any opinions on that?

I'm hoping I can try it again with him since he now has a little sister to keep him company through the misery of a bath. He doesn't get clipped & we do his nails. He's some kind of shepard mix with very thick (shedding!) fur.

Maybe it was the muzzle that made him upset? I tried to tell the groomer he has a very gentle mouth but guess those giant teeth didn't get her trust?

um, I would run really far from any groomer that insists on tranq's and also insists on a muzzle.

I groom at home, and charge 30.00 for a nice cocker cut (not a shave down) and a bath, ears, nails, but don't do anal glands. I see no need for that.

I'm with Linny, I do my own. I have a nice deep sink I can shampoo in.
If you are unable Patti, why not see if there is a local groomer that will come to your house for the big guy. It may not be to hard on him that way. Or, stay with him at the groomers. (Maybe a new groomer like Linny said)

My friend has her own mobile grooming business....she charges $50 also....and then plus tip.

Well I discovered we do have a mobile groomer in this area. I also found out a friend gets his toy poodle groomed for $25. So thinking I'll shop around. This groomer will not allow anyone in the grooming area. Her rules......

This is kinda funny: when we had the Bouvier she was kept clipped short,didn't much care for car rides but she was always very well behaved. On days of getting groomed she would whine & carry on 6 blocks from the groomers!

Well I discovered we do have a mobile groomer in this area. I also found out a friend gets his toy poodle groomed for $25. So thinking I'll shop around. This groomer will not allow anyone in the grooming area. Her rules......

This is kinda funny: when we had the Bouvier she was kept clipped short,didn't much care for car rides but she was always very well behaved. On days of getting groomed she would whine & carry on 6 blocks from the groomers!

Pati I think that's telling you something right there... my Mom's poodle Baby would go with the groomer without any fuss. He loved her. She would pick him up for us and bring him home. Find another groomer.

Until I get new clippers the girls get groomed by a very nice woman whom they adore. Zoe has been going since she was 13 weeks old. She is likes you to bring the babies in to get them use to seeing, smelling and hearing the "salon" even if you do not have anything more than a hug and treat for them at the time of visit. My girls get so excited to see Jen that Hannah sings for her. That doesn't mean that they aren't just as excited to leave. She use to be a vet tech and does not do anal glands unless it is needed and does not hesitate to recommend that you take your dog to the vet if she finds something she doesn't like. She charges 42$.

You could also see if you have a doggy "bath house" in your area. By that I mean a faucility that allows you to come in and bath your own dog. the one by use supplies shampoo, rinse, tubs (with ramps)and dryers. They will help you do nails.

I would not go to a groomers who did not let me see the area my dog is going to be bathed, clipped and kenneled. I want to know how clean it is and who is handling my pet. I have helped groom dogs who needed to be muzzled (my friends doxie who was nasty and had bit her several times) but would want to be very careful who muzzled my dog.

I almost want to hide here, but I only pay $27 each to have mine groomed. That includes clipping, bath, ears, and nails. I love our groomer. She does a marvelous job and the dogs love her, too. Dylan has the best cuts he has ever had. Julie, the groomer, breeds and shows marvelous Borzois and her assistant breeds and shows wonderful Standard Poodles. They are both very knowledgeable about dogs and training. I feel very lucky to have found them. In Indiana I used to pay $60 to have just Dylan groomed. Dog grooming is about the only thing I have found that costs less here than in IN.

Karen
My goodness. Hold onto your groomer with both hands. You are lucky to find one so reasonable in California!

When my Mom owned Baby we spent 40.00 plus tip. And that was over 10 years ago!

I'm taking all this into my brain.I do have some time before grooming is an issue. Any idea how long it takes for fur to grow out from being right down to the skin?

We do have a doggie bath place here. I might check that out too. One question about that: does someone check to make certain all dogs are updated on shots? Having said that.....now that I think about it the last trip to the groomer ended up costing ALOT cause she claimed the terrier had kennel cough & big dog had some kind of skin infection!

Vet treated terrier for kennel cough (then said she didn't have it afterall on check up visit),I had antibiotics,salve & medicated pads for big dog. Learned about those little treats you stuff the pills in,big dog figured that out after a week & managed to eat the goodie & spit out the pill! Aren't dogs clever????

I think having this memory just made my mind up! See....it does help to ask questions! I was trying to be loyal. I have options,I'll do some local searching.

Thanks!

Newmommie said:
I'm taking all this into my brain.I do have some time before grooming is an issue. Any idea how long it takes for fur to grow out from being right down to the skin?
A #10 blade is a close shave and takes a 1-2 months to grow out.

Newmommie said:
One question about that: does someone check to make certain all dogs are updated on shots?
Just about every place won't groom your pet without shot records.

Polly said:
Pati I think that's telling you something right there... my Mom's poodle Baby would go with the groomer without any fuss. He loved her. She would pick him up for us and bring him home. Find another groomer.
Gabby was always terrified of going to the groomer. I started grooming him myself when he came back from the groomer bleeding. The groomer tried to hide the cut with a kerchief around the neck. It was from the muzzle being on too tight which I was never told about. If your looking for a groomer, I recommend you get references first.

A #10 blade is a close shave and takes a 1-2 months to grow out.

If your looking for a groomer, I recommend you get references first.

Very good idea Manuel.

When I had my very first cocker, Puppy over 20 years ago, I decided to learn to groom because he came back looking worse than he went in to be groomed once. He had heart trouble and I didn't want him away for several hours. I have never looked back.

Why on earth would a groomer even USE a muzzle of Gabby???

I cut a dog once . . . it had a tumour that nobody knew about. I was devastated, and rushed the dog to the vet (fortunately next door to the grooming shop). I paid for the stitches and was just about in tears when the owners came to pick up their dog. They took it MUCH better than I did!

I would never return to a groomer that left an injury on my dog and didn't tell me, no matter how small. I would also not take my dogs back to a place that they LEFT afraid of. Most dogs are somewhat hesitant to go into a grooming salon, but most of them are very happy and waggy when they leave. If not, I would seriously wonder why!

Yesterday I asked the vet & her assistant for a groomer reference. Plus I asked if our local self bathing place requires proof of shot update-NO! So that leaves out that option!

I have several weeks,so meantime I will ask every person I know who their groomer is.

I'm guessing nobody with a cocker goes to Petco or Petsmart for grooming?

Appreciate all the replies. Buttons has an ear infection so she's getting used to sitting nice on the table. She was an angel at the vet's by the way. I will post on the health forum about her ears & what I learned.

Actually, I think someone on the AOL board, maybe Judy?, used a groomer at a Pet Smart. It all depends on the groomer.

change in prices

I used to take my Charlierose to petco she went to grooming manager and was afraid of the dryers and the manager called me and asked to come get her early and bring back for a followup/finsh in a few days I got a dicount rate of about 25-30$ for that visit. I was adviced to bath her the night before and bring her her next appt and was charged 25-30$. this worked well for a while but then I got the "new groomer" who charged me 38$ I told her I always get a discount because she does not get bathed and doesnt do well with the hair dryers but the new groomer wouldnt budge on price after that I asked arround and found out what clippers everyone uses and bought my own. have been grooming my own for about 3 yrs now, and groom my mothers cockapoo every now and then.

Back