Grooming prices?

Yesterday I asked the vet & her assistant for a groomer reference. Plus I asked if our local self bathing place requires proof of shot update-NO! So that leaves out that option!

You know I think that if your dog is up to date on shots then it would be no differant than taking Buttons on a walk where other dogs are. I might be wrong but ask your vet this question. Most likely at the self-bathing place she would not have contact with many other dogs.

I have several weeks,so meantime I will ask every person I know who their groomer is.

What area of Washington are you in...maybe I could help.

I groom my own too. I tried a groomer back in 1989 or so and she charged me $40. She did a great job but I had two dogs then and not much income. Two three times of the $40 grooming and I bought my first clipper set. Mostly cause I showed up early to pick up Mendi and found her near choked on the table and all wild-eyed. A good groomer is well worth the money cause it's not a job for impatient people for sure! I just feel like trimming my own I get the look that works for me and I can modify their look to hide imperfections such as Coco's tumors and Charlie's little beady eyes or Maxwell's loss of one eye. I don't have fancy clippers but the attachments on mine are really handy and you learn to get creative in time. Plus quality time with the pooch and I can do half a dog at a time if they get antsy and go back to it in an hour or the next day! :)

I guess I'm afraid to try clippers myself,my hands/fingers are arthritic,plus I have a strange neuro condition that causes me to jerk. I did get another name & phone number today for a groomer. I live in Skagit County by the way (just noticed the post).

Hopefully by the time Buttons needs to be groomed I'll have learned how to use my camera! I can see more liver spots on her fur now.....she's a cutie with that top hair all fuzzy.

It is economical doing your own plus it's a good way to check your pet's health and skin. Taking breaks is a good idea too. That's the only way on can do Gabby now--he's so fussy. Once he's had enough, I'll quit and then pick up where I left off later.

Newmommie said:
I guess I'm afraid to try clippers myself,my hands/fingers are arthritic,plus I have a strange neuro condition that causes me to jerk. I did get another name & phone number today for a groomer.
Maybe you can find a groomer who is willing to assist you--if you're interested in learning. You might be able to work together.

I'm in PA -- suburbs of Philly and charge 30.00

I will do teeth if they ask, but I'll add a few bucks for that, as I don't like going 'in there' on a snarky dog.

I also don't do anal glands as it's not necessary.

I don't shave me down -- I will give pretty heads, and a puppy cut if at all possible. I also won't de-matt. Drives me nuts when people can't be bothered to brush their dam dog and expect the groomer to perform miracles or be the one to torture their dog.

I called our groomer today to find out her charge for the new cocker,it's $50. and that includes ear cleaning,anal glands,nails & tax. (I've always given a tip also).

Big dog doesn't get groomed & it's been awhile since we've used the groomer's services. She charged $40 for the little terrier.

Have charges gone up this much in 18mos or do groomer's charge more for spaniels? I told her I will want a "puppy cut". (I think I picked up that info on here? Keep it short).

I know some of you are groomers? Yesterday I cut off that spikey hair on top & she sat there like an angel. I was surprised how soft her fur is! I'd never been around a cocker in my life until we went to the shelter & adopted Buttons.

I'm in awe of all of you with multiple cocker's & all having long silky hair!;)

Geesh I need to raise my prices!! I charge $35

I'm in PA -- suburbs of Philly and charge 30.00

I will do teeth if they ask, but I'll add a few bucks for that, as I don't like going 'in there' on a snarky dog.

I also don't do anal glands as it's not necessary.

I don't shave me down -- I will give pretty heads, and a puppy cut if at all possible. I also won't de-matt. Drives me nuts when people can't be bothered to brush their dam dog and expect the groomer to perform miracles or be the one to torture their dog.

I agree 100% I do not brush dogs teeth....I do not do anal glands (same reason) and I do not dematt...same reason again!!

I also do not yell at customers for dogs that are in 'bad shape' I will do a pretty Cocker head and zip the rest off.

It is cruel to dematt a dog

Thanks,mainly I wanted to reassure my housemate the charge was OK. He's paying for it afterall! I suppose I should also buy some shampoo/conditioner from her rather than use the stuff I bathed the terrier with? Luckily we have a large,deep kitchen sink & she isn't too heavy for me to pick her up.

While I'm at it I have a question about big dog. He did fine @ this groomer's when he went there with the terrier. Then we took him alone & he howled so bad she called to come pick him up & said never bring him back again unless he was on tranqs. Well needless to say I didn't want to drug my dog so he's gone without grooming for too long. Someone suggested I give him Rescue Remedy drops to calm him down. Any opinions on that?

I'm hoping I can try it again with him since he now has a little sister to keep him company through the misery of a bath. He doesn't get clipped & we do his nails. He's some kind of shepard mix with very thick (shedding!) fur.

Maybe it was the muzzle that made him upset? I tried to tell the groomer he has a very gentle mouth but guess those giant teeth didn't get her trust?

I do the dogs straight through....no crate time or if so maybe 15 min while I take a break...no barking no howling and the clients love it...their dogs are never here longer than an hour or so...If I do more than one client in a day I will book the an hour and a half apart.

When I owned a shop the dogs were never there longer than 3 hours. But I did make sure the barkers were done and owners would be there to pick them up. I would NEVER ask a client to tranq a dog unless it tried to take my face off...

I'm still shopping around for a groomer. Not an issue as yet since Buttons is just now getting some fur......I can already see that living in the wet woods with a white cocker isn't the smartest thing I've ever done. Have to wash off her feet/legs now just from the water puddles. And that white rain jacket thing was the only one in her size! She hates the hood of course.

I bought a comb,now it's obvious I need a brush.what kind? Big dog loves the comb,well he loves any kind of grooming except a bath I suppose. I got confused looking at brushes when @ Petsmart & of course couldn't recall what anyone suggested here. I promise to write it down & put in my wallet if you'll tell me again which brush is best?

The terrier got anal glands done @ home (housemate did them when necessary), so far Buttons has never scooted on her behind.....isn't this how you know they need to be done? Is this perhaps one thing cocker's don't require?

Buttons' teeth are fine. Rags needs to have his cleaned,he'll have to be put to sleep for this procedure! I'm not in a rush to do this.....

i recommend using a large Slicker brush, then follow up with combing. I never brush dirty hair...most of the bad stuff can be washed out and brushing goes easier. I dont know how old your dog is but do not be complacent in letting it slide without grooming for lack of length on the coat. Grooming behavior starts in puppyhood. You must put them up on a safe table and brush, get the dog used to being touched and sitting for the process, starting on a dog that is already 7 or 8 months is not good.

Well she's not a puppy. Figure 4 yr old. She's becoming a lapdog now,so I keep the comb handy & use it along with belly rubs. Thanks for the reply!

OT but I discovered Buttons does know the "sit" command. Do all cocker's dance? Mine sure does! She has actually done a backward flip but doubt that was a smart move!

My Coco does not like being groomed. I bought a brush as soon as we got him. It was the first stop before home to get all his essentials, kennel, food, bowls, shampoo, and brush. I am now looking for a good comb that gets the undercoat. His coat is getting real thick now that he is getting a bit older. He is now almost 7 months. He has been to the groomers once, he did ok for his first time I was told. He did wiggle a bit on the table. I have been using a wire brush on him.

I understand what you mean though about, having to whip down the feet after every outing...I leave a sm towel by the door so he gets his feet whiped down when he gets really wet.

My Coco does not like being groomed. I bought a brush as soon as we got him. It was the first stop before home to get all his essentials, kennel, food, bowls, shampoo, and brush. I am now looking for a good comb that gets the undercoat. His coat is getting real thick now that he is getting a bit older. He is now almost 7 months. He has been to the groomers once, he did ok for his first time I was told. He did wiggle a bit on the table. I have been using a wire brush on him.

I understand what you mean though about, having to whip down the feet after every outing...I leave a sm towel by the door so he gets his feet whiped down when he gets really wet.

That is why as a breeder I tell every one of my puppy buyers to get the pups groomed professionally once a month...by the time they leave my place they have had 2 haircuts...this keeps them familiar with the procedure. When you do not do that you have a puppy that misbehaves and the result is a higher price for you. It will pay off in the long run to do the once a month grooming.

Back