Grooming Question

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
I just got a call from Lauren who was quite upset. She took Eloise in for grooming and got a call at school from the groomer who was on a rant. Evidentally the groomer told her, "Your dog is extremely matted and I haven't seen her since November. Either you pick this dog up, take her home, and brush her out or I'm going to have to charge you $15 extra dollars." Grooming is already $50 there. Lauren had just bathed and brushed out Eloise on Saturday. Now they do run everyday and it has been very wet and slushy there so she could have gotten some tangles but Eloise is always brushed out twice a week so I hardly think she could be a matted mess. Also Lauren keeps her in more of a puppy cut so any mats are easy to find. I think the groomer was upset because Lauren had Eloise groomed when they were home for Christmas and didn't do it in Bloomington. I told Lauren she should look for a different groomer.

(((Karen)))
I agree. Lauren should find a groomer that is more polite. So what if she had her done when she was home... Maybe Lauren should talk to the shop owner also.

I think the woman owns the shop, kind of a one woman operation. The reason Lauren had Eloise groomed whe she came home is that Julie had been grooming Eloise from the time Lauren got her, until Lauren went off to Med School. Also Julie is a much better groomer. I was curious and called Julie to ask what kind of condition she thought Eloise was usually in and Julie said, "Karen, all the dogs in your family are always in great shape."

Geez! I could see if Eloise was really, truly matted solid . . . but if she is brushed twice a week, then that's not likely the case. Goodness, I used to groom a Cocker that was never brushed (I did her every 6 weeks) and she wasn't ever matted solid. How frustrating for Julie!

I would have gone and gotten my dog . . . but sometimes that isn't possible.

I would suggest that Julie find another groomer. If you let us know which city she's in, some of us might be able to network and find groomer recommendations for her.

Kelly,
Lauren is the daughter, Eloise is the dog, and Julie is our groomer here at home.:) Looking back over my two posts, I can see it's extremely confusing.

(((Karen)))
I agree. Lauren should find a groomer that is more polite. So what if she had her done when she was home... Maybe Lauren should talk to the shop owner also.
It doesn't sound like she'll stay in business long if she talks to her customers like that. I would have told her to go ahead and trim her for the extra $15.00 then made arrangments to find a new groomer. <_<

I remember once I decided to have Pookie professionally groomed. I had always had my Mom's poodles groomed. When I went to pick up Pookie she was shaved down to the skin! Only thing left on her was her ears!
I was flabbergasted! The woman said that she was matted to her skin.. that wasn't true! I brush them so often.. I didn't pay, and never took another of mine to the groomer again.;)

Lauren paid the $15 extra and will be looking for a new groomer. Lauren couldn't just walk out of her anatomy lab to pick Eloise up right then. I really admire those who can clip their own dogs.

It is just as well that Lauren find a new groomer, since Eloise is brushed at home 2 times a week then it is very unlikely that her coat could have been matted and dirty is why we groom. Nastiness on the phone to Lauren could translate to a short temper with Eloise and grooming should not be a scarey thing for Eloise.

Does Lauren have a vet that she take Eloise to in her area? Have her ask if they have other cocker clients and where do they have them groomed.

Here's a question for you. I was wondering if there is a spray any of you use, between grooming. Coco has been groomed about 2 weeks ago, and his back seems to be dry along the spine. He does need to be groomed again but, if there is something I can use on his skin between.

I have been a professional groomer for over 35 years...I have NOT ONCE yelled at a customer because their dog was matted.

Thats why they come to me!

I will however counsel and advise what tools to use and what schedule the dog might do better on. It is a POOR business practice to chastise any client.

All of my clients KNOW I will not put a dog through dematting. It is far easier on everyone concerned to 'start over' It is only hair and it grows at 1/2 a month. Before long the dog will be back in a style if it was necessary to shave it down. I check all the dogs before the owner leaves and give them an opinion when they drop it off...I would never CALL someone at work and berate or complain. It is just unprofessional.

Here's a question for you. I was wondering if there is a spray any of you use, between grooming. Coco has been groomed about 2 weeks ago, and his back seems to be dry along the spine. He does need to be groomed again but, if there is something I can use on his skin between.

Don't feel like you can't bathe him again...my show dogs get bathed and conditioned every 4 days! You just have to use a good product!

You shouldn't have to spray him if your groomer is using good products...some of them don't to save money. I would recommend that you get Crown Royale #2 Shampoo and Conditioner. I love it so much that I would say just get a gallon of each. It will set you back close to 100 bucks. BUT it is highly concentrated and you will never have to buy shampoo again for a LONG TIME...years even. You can mix some and take it to the groomers with you, in other words supply your own. You can also bathe him in between grooming with it. It has a very nice fragrance plus the shampoo leaves the coat silky. As always the shampoo MUST be rinsed off very well any shampoo left on the skin will cause flakes and itching. JUST like when we leave shampoo on our own scalp...the conditioner you can leave some in or rinse out totally.

It can be found at the Cherrybrook web site.

I second the recommendation for Crown Royale Formula #2 shampoo and conditioner . . . it is very re-hydrating and it cuts WAY down on static in the hair too.

I love Crown Royale, I first bought it on Linny's recommendation and never looked back!^_^

Back