Hello from NJ

dizzy

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself and tell you a bit about myself.

First off, my user name. My initials are DZ, and I suffer from vertigo attacks, hence I'm Dizzy.

The reason for the vertigo attacks is because I have an inner ear disorder-Meniere's Disease (MD). Not only do I get vertigo attacks, but I'm also losing my hearing. And, while there are some medications that I can take that may be able to help, I've been controlling it thru diet for over 20 years. In that time, I've only had one major attack and that was this past September. I was so dizzy that even turning my head made me feel like I was going to be sick. When I'm not dizzy, I'm pretty active. I've found that anything I can do that involves balance is actually good for me. I used to do karate, but gave that up when I got my horse. I still ride, but a different horse and also ride a motorcycle when my health and the weather permits it.

Currently, I do not own a cocker (nor any other dog), but I have owned 2 in the past. They are my favorite breed of dogs. As much as I want another dog, right now is not a good time for me to be getting a puppy. However, if at all possible, I'm hoping to get one in the fall.

I found this forum by accident today. Both of my cockers had a different type of coat and I was doing some research trying to find out what the different coats were. And that's how I found this forum! I found out that my first cocker, a black female named Ebony had a field coat-and that's what I want. My 2nd cocker, Sandy, had a show coat. I got her right around when I was struck w/my MD and I could not keep up w/her care. After I lost her, I tried a Springer Spaniel instead in the hope that w/their coat, they'd be easier to care for. Well, Patches' coat was easier, but she was way more hyper, so I'm back to wanting a cocker.

W/out a dog in my life, I feel incomplete. But I also know that right now, I don't have the time to devote to a puppy. I have a ton of stuff that I'm trying to get done first. But, when I get one, she'll be my constant companion. Besides being my favorite breed, I ran across someone last year that had one they were training to be a service dog-and that's what I want to be able to do. I want a dog that will get the remote for me if I need it, or go and get me a bottle of water. One that will go and get someone in the family if I've fallen and can't get up. (And that has happened.)

So, that's just a bit about me. Until I get my dog, I'll probably be drooling over everyone's dogs on here.

A cocker would be my first choice too. I hope you get one when the time is right.

Welcome, looking forward to reading your journey when dog time does arrive. You might also consider a rescue dog, they can make great service companions!

Welcome, looking forward to reading your journey when dog time does arrive. You might also consider a rescue dog, they can make great service companions!

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've thought of a rescue, but not sure if I want to go that route. I know cockers can have various health problems and I'm wanting to avoid that if at all possible. And, it's not that I have anything against rescues either. My horse, Misty, is a rescue. My cat, Cindy (short for Cinderella) was a stray that I tamed-but not B4 she had kittens. Only one, her daughter Rerun, survived.

I'll probably have a ton of questions when I do start looking in earnest. Right now, I'll look every so often, but not w/any real thoughts about getting a puppy. I've never trained a service dog B4, but then again, I had never trained a horse B4 and I've done all the training on Misty.

Welcome Dizzy! I'm Polly, and I live in So CA, with my hubby Michael and our 3 cockers. I have a black and tan, Pepper, how is a rescue and is between 12-14 we think, we have had him for 10 years. We have a buff boy named Pogo, we rescued him when he was under a year old, he is 7 years old now, and Stormy, a retired show boy from my dear friend Robin who also is a moderater here, Stormy is a brown and is 8, will be 9 in March.

I also would suggest a rescue, or, like I did, a retired show dog, or an older pup from a show breeder. They will lots of time keep puppies a little longer while waiting to see which one is best for the ring. All of my current dogs have thick coats, it isn't a problem for me because I learned to groom them for myself. I keep their coats on the short side. Lots keep them shaved down.

Another option for you might be an English Cocker, they still have a coat, but, it's not as thick as an American.

Gordon who is a member here can tell you about his cocker also. Tasha is his service dog. Welcome again.

Bump, post was moderated. There are some advantages in getting a rescue. Most are already grown so if they have a health issue it's already apparent. A check up at the vet can catch most medical problems such as heart, eye and hip issues.

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've thought of a rescue, but not sure if I want to go that route. I know cockers can have various health problems and I'm wanting to avoid that if at all possible. And, it's not that I have anything against rescues either. My horse, Misty, is a rescue. My cat, Cindy (short for Cinderella) was a stray that I tamed-but not B4 she had kittens. Only one, her daughter Rerun, survived.

I'll probably have a ton of questions when I do start looking in earnest. Right now, I'll look every so often, but not w/any real thoughts about getting a puppy. I've never trained a service dog B4, but then again, I had never trained a horse B4 and I've done all the training on Misty.

Gordon who is a member here can tell you about his cocker also. Tasha is his service dog. Welcome again.

I noticed that on a couple of threads I was reading. And, I'm hoping he'll chime in. I figure he might be a good one for me to talk to.

Hi and welcome from sunny (but chilly) Florida. :) I belong to three rescue dogs, 2 cocker spaniels and 1 vizsla. ^_^ They keep me sane and entertained. I look forward to hearing of your journey to find the right dog when the time comes. I am glad that you recognize that waiting until the right time is the proper thing to do. I applaud that! So many people don't wait until the time is right and that only puts more in the hands of shelters and rescues. :(

I will also say that a rescue is (IMHO) the way to go. I won't bug you about it but only ask that you search the threads here and read the many wonderful stories of rescue dogs. Not all have health problems and like Manuel said - if you get an adult most health problems will already have shown up. Adults can be trained - just like puppies - to do whatever you need/want. My Charley is super smart and training him is a pleasure.

Thank you Dot. I have looked at some rescues, but all of the ones that I found were old, or had issues that I'm not up to dealing with, things like cat aggressive, or doesn't get along w/children. While I don't have any young children (mine are 26 and 20), I have friends that either have young children, or grandchildren, great nieces and nephews and I own cats, horses, rabbits, goats and chickens! I know from experience that it's much easier to teach a puppy to accept all these different types of animals than an adult dog. My son used to have a beagle that we got as a puppy. We had her for years B4 we got the other animals. She was fine w/the cats and horses-in fact she was afraid of them, but I could not trust her around the rabbits, goats or chickens.

But for right now, it's a moot point. It will be months B4 I'm in a position to get a dog. And who knows, the perfect one may turn up at a rescue.

Hey dizzy, I'm nick and have a merle cocker named Blue. He also has the field coat, and its very low maintenance compared to my past cockers which had show coats. I hope you find the perfect puppy for you!

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself and tell you a bit about myself.

First off, my user name. My initials are DZ, and I suffer from vertigo attacks, hence I'm Dizzy.

The reason for the vertigo attacks is because I have an inner ear disorder-Meniere's Disease (MD). Not only do I get vertigo attacks, but I'm also losing my hearing. And, while there are some medications that I can take that may be able to help, I've been controlling it thru diet for over 20 years. In that time, I've only had one major attack and that was this past September. I was so dizzy that even turning my head made me feel like I was going to be sick. When I'm not dizzy, I'm pretty active. I've found that anything I can do that involves balance is actually good for me. I used to do karate, but gave that up when I got my horse. I still ride, but a different horse and also ride a motorcycle when my health and the weather permits it.

Currently, I do not own a cocker (nor any other dog), but I have owned 2 in the past. They are my favorite breed of dogs. As much as I want another dog, right now is not a good time for me to be getting a puppy. However, if at all possible, I'm hoping to get one in the fall.

I found this forum by accident today. Both of my cockers had a different type of coat and I was doing some research trying to find out what the different coats were. And that's how I found this forum! I found out that my first cocker, a black female named Ebony had a field coat-and that's what I want. My 2nd cocker, Sandy, had a show coat. I got her right around when I was struck w/my MD and I could not keep up w/her care. After I lost her, I tried a Springer Spaniel instead in the hope that w/their coat, they'd be easier to care for. Well, Patches' coat was easier, but she was way more hyper, so I'm back to wanting a cocker.

W/out a dog in my life, I feel incomplete. But I also know that right now, I don't have the time to devote to a puppy. I have a ton of stuff that I'm trying to get done first. But, when I get one, she'll be my constant companion. Besides being my favorite breed, I ran across someone last year that had one they were training to be a service dog-and that's what I want to be able to do. I want a dog that will get the remote for me if I need it, or go and get me a bottle of water. One that will go and get someone in the family if I've fallen and can't get up. (And that has happened.)

So, that's just a bit about me. Until I get my dog, I'll probably be drooling over everyone's dogs on here.

Hi there, welcome to the site. Have you considered possibly adopting an adult cocker?

I know this is super old, but I got to wondering today how long I actually looked B4 getting Callie. I joined here in 2011 and had hoped to get a dog in 2012. So, it was 5 years B4 I found her!

Back