Hello!

JintyS

Newbie here!
Just got our Working Cocker a week ago, he is now 9 weeks. The first three nights I was trying to get him to sleep in his crate but no chance! I know we have committed the cardinal sin of letting him sleep in a dog bed in our room, but that seems to be ok, he has slept through the night except for one toilet break for the last two nights.
I have been concentrating on crate training during the day with a good deal of success, building gradually until today I was able to leave him for 45 mins while I ran an errand. He loves his dog bed though and has chosen to nap in there voluntarily several times today.
My plan is now to gradually introduce nighttime crate training but we cannot fit the crate in our bedroom as lots of training sites recommend. It means using the crate downstairs and the minute we leave all hell breaks loose.
I need some advice and reassurance that Im doing ok. Im scared that I am missing the joy of my puppy by obsessing over the training stuff. My husband is much more relaxed but I feel he lets the pup away with murder!
We already had a working cocker who sadly had to be put to sleep in December, so we have experience of raising the same breed from puppy. It seems so long ago since we were going through puppy stages!

Welcome. Your puppy sure is cute. I have crate trained my dogs. However if you are crate training during the day and your puppy stays in his bed at night and is doing well there is nothing that says that you have to crate him at night. Most puppies really like to be with their people during the night and if your crate won’t fit in your room and he does well with you maybe having him stay in his bed is your answer.

Welcome. Your puppy sure is cute. I have crate trained my dogs. However if you are crate training during the day and your puppy stays in his bed at night and is doing well there is nothing that says that you have to crate him at night. Most puppies really like to be with their people during the night and if your crate won’t fit in your room and he does well with you maybe having him stay in his bed is your answer.
Thanks so much! Your doggies are super cute too!
Well, last night my lovely Skye slept in his crate!
I gave him a stuffed Kong ( favourite) in the crate, put lights out and I sat on the floor beside crate reading my kindle until he settled dozed ( not long) I then calmly went upstairs to my own bed. No problems! I left the radio on low too. The radio has a tiny light which served as a nightlight. I think I was rushing the steps and initially giving him too much to deal with too soon.
Will repeat process tonight.
Thank you for your words of encouragement, really appreciate them 🐾

What a cutie your Skye is! Do you think a slightly smaller crate just for your bedroom would work??

The crate I now have for Callie doesn't fit in my room either. At least, she's 6 1/2 months now. I'm bad. I let her sleep w/me now.

And, your pup is cute.

Thanks folks, I did consider getting another, smaller crate for bedroom however it’s second night of following routine of stuffed Kong, crate, sitting beside closed crate till pup settles
Have radio on low and a tiny nightlight seems to help. I think a consistent routine will help. I guess I just need to be patient!

I love your "find a way around the problem and solve it," attitude. Love your beautiful baby, too! If you are a picture taker type, do post lots of pics here, please. We love puppy pictures!!

I love your "find a way around the problem and solve it," attitude. Love your beautiful baby, too! If you are a picture taker type, do post lots of pics here, please. We love puppy pictures!!
You are very kind Mel, but I cannot take credit! I found a good guide to crate training which gave step by step instructions. I think I was rushing the steps hoping for a miracle, 😂
However, last night he woke us up at 1am, he had been sick in the crate. I think we had fed a little too late. However, we just followed the process again and he settled again and slept till 7am. It’s just patience I guess and trial and error!
Your message means a lot though as it’s nice to feel I’m doing something right!
He is adorable, as is your baby xx

Attachments

• 4CCC1DB8-A457-4BCD-AE3C-0D21B519A234.jpeg
    4CCC1DB8-A457-4BCD-AE3C-0D21B519A234.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 8
  • 1350E6BC-3965-4FDB-9E16-0D3304584AD5.jpeg
    1350E6BC-3965-4FDB-9E16-0D3304584AD5.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 8
Just an update on crate situation, Skye is now voluntarily popping into his crate for naps during the day and we have no problems during the night. After three weeks, I’m pleased to say we no longer need to leave radio or a night light on and he settles well.
I just thought ths might be reassuring for new puppy owners that might think crate training takes ages or will never fall into place!
Now I need to stop the biting/ nipping/ barking. Getting there gradually with that! I forgot how exhausting a puppy can be, but I’m enjoying it!

Just an update on crate situation, Skye is now voluntarily popping into his crate for naps during the day and we have no problems during the night. After three weeks, I’m pleased to say we no longer need to leave radio or a night light on and he settles well.
I just thought ths might be reassuring for new puppy owners that might think crate training takes ages or will never fall into place!
Now I need to stop the biting/ nipping/ barking. Getting there gradually with that! I forgot how exhausting a puppy can be, but I’m enjoying it!
Excellent news!

I hear ya on how exhausting a puppy can be. There are days when I ask myself why I ever got a puppy. Then, she cuddles up next to me, or gets all excited when I come home and that makes it all worth it.

I hear ya on how exhausting a puppy can be. There are days when I ask myself why I ever got a puppy. Then, she cuddles up next to me, or gets all excited when I come home and that makes it all worth it.
I know, me too! I ask myself the same thing, but they are so much fun and entertaining. I remind myself that they are not puppies for long and to enjoy the madness! How old is your puppy? Ours is 11weeks now.

Callie will be 7 months tomorrow. I keep looking at her and asking myself what happened to the little puppy I brought home 5 months ago.

Right now, I'm having trouble w/giving her enough exercise. It keeps raining! Normally, I take her out to the farm where I board my horses (and chickens and turkey) and let her run around "my" field. But, it's been so wet that she gets extremely muddy and smelly. I will let her loose in the backyard, but it's not quite the same. Hopefully it will dry out soon! I'm about ready to build an ark.

Callie will be 7 months tomorrow. I keep looking at her and asking myself what happened to the little puppy I brought home 5 months ago.

Right now, I'm having trouble w/giving her enough exercise. It keeps raining! Normally, I take her out to the farm where I board my horses (and chickens and turkey) and let her run around "my" field. But, it's been so wet that she gets extremely muddy and smelly. I will let her loose in the backyard, but it's not quite the same. Hopefully it will dry out soon! I'm about ready to build an ark.
Oh no, muddy dogs are no fun! Sorry you’ve had so much ☔️. Because ours is not yet allowed out ( still to get second vaccinations) he is limited to our garden. I bought a lure toy which he loves and tires him out mentally and physically. Also one of those bouncy balls which go every which way when you throw it. He loves that!

I take Hoshi out rain or shine but we have sidewalks. I can imagine how muddy a farm would be.

You are very kind Mel, but I cannot take credit! I found a good guide to crate training which gave step by step instructions. I think I was rushing the steps hoping for a miracle, 😂
However, last night he woke us up at 1am, he had been sick in the crate. I think we had fed a little too late. However, we just followed the process again and he settled again and slept till 7am. It’s just patience I guess and trial and error!
Your message means a lot though as it’s nice to feel I’m doing something right!
He is adorable, as is your baby xx

He is Such a cutie!!!! X

Back