Hemangiosarcoma

MontysMom

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum. Just looking for a little advice or encouragement for my cocker. I have an 11-year-old cocker named Monty who has hemangiosarcoma. He was diagnosed last week after having his spleen removed which had a softball-sized tumor. No other visible tumors were seen but the pathology report indicated hemangiosarcoma so I was told to assume it's spreading. We were given a life expectancy of 3 months without chemo and 4-6 months with chemo. We are opting not to do chemo but are instead doing a cancer diet with many herbal supplements and acupuncture. We are currently 9 days post-op and Monty is doing great. He has energy, eats a lot and is in good spirits. Are other people going through this or have gone through it? We're taking it day by day but would love to communicate with anyone about this. Monty is my husband's and my first dog and we're devastated and not sure what to do next.

Hi and welcome. I'm so sorry you and your boy are fighting cancer. Yes, I went thru the cancer fight with one of mine. My avatar, the dog that is in the Background we lost to cancer at age 10, the dog in the foreground is his grandpuppy who was born the same month Stormy passed.

Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry to hear about Stormy. What types of treatment, if any, did Stormy receive? How long was it from the time Stormy was diagnosed to the time he passed away?

I lost a 15 yr old cocker to lymphoma in her stomach. If my medical terminology is right she has cancer in her blood, is that right? What you are doing sounds good, it certainly can't hurt. Our goal was to keep our girl as comfortable and doing as well as possible as long as possible. We most likely kept her with us too long, but she was a fighter and we could tell she was not ready. Good luck, sorry you have to deal with this horrible disease.

Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry to hear about Stormy. What types of treatment, if any, did Stormy receive? How long was it from the time Stormy was diagnosed to the time he passed away?
It was very fast. Within 2 months. His cancer was of the throat and inoperable. He was on prednisone shots, he needed them to be able to swallow. He was seen by his regular vet at least twice a week and by his Oncologist. His Oncologist helped him to the bridge.

I also lost a beloved dog to lymphoma. We held it off a while with steroids but when the end came, it came quickly. Make your dog feel happy, loved, and cared for and hope for the best. I'm sorry that's the reason you are here but glad that you joined.

I lost my Springer Spaniel, Patches, to cancer. I had her operated on 2x prior for mammary tumors. When she got it the 3rd time, it was growing rapidly. The vet said that the most treatment would give her was 6 months. But, she wasn't enjoying life, so I had her put down. I haven't had a dog since.

My dear friends lost their dog at age 11 to hemangiosarcoma. They did not do chemo either. They changed her diet and enjoyed her. She lasted about 4 or so moths but was happy and ate until her very last day. Glad you are going the holistic rout. Without the spleen and by doing anti cancer diet and supplements I would say that you would have longer with him. Best of luck to you. This is a scary cancer. Another one of my friends list her dog to the sane cancer. She had no idea he was sick.

Hemangio means of the blood vessels normally but I wonder if this the same with hemangiosarcoma. I have learned somethings new and will keep an eye open. I wish you well, it is a hard road to go down.

my 12yo doberman died from hemangiosarcoma. One weekend, she was fine, jumping baby gates and being her normal bratty self .... Monday she seemed 'off'. Tue am she did not eat and by the afternoon, I had driven her through a blizzard to the ER and she was diagnosed with severe internal bleeding etc. It was a HUGE shock to us.

I too was told that chemo might possibly give her a couple of months if she lived through the night type thing. We decided to let her go peacefully instead. I know an 11 yo cocker isnt the same as a 12yo dobe but I'm not in favor of invasive procedures on elderly dogs esp if they have a limited chance of a longterm outcome.

BUT, the decision is yours and you have to feel comfortable with it. I dont think chemo affects dogs in the same way it does humans but I'd really question what that quality of life will be during treatment before considering it.

I'm so sorry you're in this position. Its a terrible decision to make :(

Hi, I lost my soul dog, Missy at 15 to cancer.
We had a final summer together from the time her first tumor on her lip was removed to the end.
I actually let her eat whatever she wanted and spoiled her in the last bit of time we had.
At that point, pancakes and ice cream weren't going to harm her any further than the cancer was, and it was important to me that she was spoiled and indulged for the time we had left.

We had a final summer together from the time her first tumor on her lip was removed to the end.
I actually let her eat whatever she wanted and spoiled her in the last bit of time we had.
At that point, pancakes and ice cream weren't going to harm her any further than the cancer was, and it was important to me that she was spoiled and indulged for the time we had left.
:heart::brokenheart::heart::brokenheart:

My 13 year old black english cocker spaniel Aggie had a growth removed from the side of her lip/cheek last week. the vet called today and stated that the mass was a hemangiosarcoma which he says is very rare in the oral mucous. I am sorry so for your loss of Missy.
May I ask how long did she have from the time the mass on the lip was removed until her passing.
We rescued Aggie along with he life long buddy Lady a blonde english cocker late last summer to help our 12 year old black and white American Cocker Ellie get over the loss of our 17 yr old blue roan english cocker Ashely. We are stunned to here Aggie has cancer but will do what ever we can to make her happy for what ever time she has left. we will not be seeking the help of an oncologist.
we have no idea what to expect... just looking for others advise. thanks

My 13 year old black english cocker spaniel Aggie had a growth removed from the side of her lip/cheek last week. the vet called today and stated that the mass was a hemangiosarcoma which he says is very rare in the oral mucous. I am sorry so for your loss of Missy.
May I ask how long did she have from the time the mass on the lip was removed until her passing.
We rescued Aggie along with he life long buddy Lady a blonde english cocker late last summer to help our 12 year old black and white American Cocker Ellie get over the loss of our 17 yr old blue roan english cocker Ashely. We are stunned to here Aggie has cancer but will do what ever we can to make her happy for what ever time she has left. we will not be seeking the help of an oncologist.
we have no idea what to expect... just looking for others advise. thanks

We only had about 4 months..... my vet had told me that it was highly likely more tumors were developing that we couldn't see. (with her age is didn't seem appropriate to do any testing involving anesthesia ). I was told to watch for when she would develop breathing difficulties, and that would be the time.

Back