Hi from Dee & Egypt

Mscru28

This is my new Cocker Spaniel, Egypt. She is 11 weeks old and a real cutie. My first Cocker, Roxie, past away. I haven't had another dog in over 8 years plus. However, the way I acquired Egypt was not the correct way, so please forgive me. A friend brought me a dog that they found, so when I took that dog to the vet, it had a microchip and was immediately confiscated from me to be returned to its owner. I was devastated, even though I had the dog for only 2 hours, I liked the little fellow. Long story short, it made me want another dog immediately. So, of course, I wanted another Cocker Spaniel.

So (please don't judge me) I went searching on Craigslist - saw a listing, contacted the owner via text, and met up during my lunch hour at a local park. When I parked my car and got out, I saw the breeder in the middle of the lawn and he pointed to the puppy and I said "Hi, girl" and Egypt ran straight to me with no fear and started giving me kisses. I knew then I was taking this puppy. She looked underweight for her age, which was 7 weeks (second red flag, I know) but I had to have her. I asked was she the runt of the litter and the breeder indicated "no," but I knew she was small for 7 weeks. He handed me her vaccination records, which I did not look at (another flag) and I paid him. The breeder provided me with pictures of the parents, but I never met them.

I immediately took Egypt to the Vet to be check out and handed them the vaccination records. When we opened the booklet, it stated that the dog had her first set of shot completed by a Vet in Mexico (just stopped counting the flags at this point please). Wtf. The dog was in good spirits and my Vet suggested that we redo the shots since we couldn't verify her shot info. I did tell them how I acquired her. She weighted 2.5lbs at 7 weeks old. Smh.

After the Vet, we went shopping and home. Feed Egypt and played with her. She cried that night when I left her in the crate, so I let her sleep in my room in her new doggy bed. As long as Egypt could see my face, she went to sleep and was fine. Within two days, Egypt had stopped eating, had diarrhea, and was vomiting. The Vet diagnosed her with Parvo after test results. I opted to treat her at home instead of leaving her at the vet for financial purposes. After 7 days, she was doing well. Three days later sick again. After a fecal test, the Vet diagnosed with Coccidia. The first set of medication provided did not work, so the Vet switched her to Albon which did work.

Now, Egypt's is cured and back to normal. She is healthy and doing well. She is 11 weeks old now and weighs 6.5 lbs and growing. She also has pet insurance. I am very grateful she survived. I have learned many lessons as well. Thanks for listening. Hope to interact with everyone for many years to come. (Btw, I think her vaccination could have triggered the Parvo positive test results and/or the Coccidia. I think she had Coccidia when I picked her up and it was activated due to stress in a new environment. Just my theories, of course.) Look forward to sound advice and guidance from everyone. Thank you for listening to my new adventure. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
She is cute. Sorry, your post is a posterchild how not to buy a pet. I'm glad she is well. I'm glad you decided to re-vaccinate her but I guess it wasn't in time. We'll be willing to share any information we can.

Hi and welcome. Yes unfortunately I agree with Manuel. But, think of it this way, you saved her and that's what counts.

Back