Hoshi's home alone now while I'm at work

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
So I work 12 hour shifts and there's no one home anymore. I've been thinking what my alternatives are. I've requested 8 hour shifts--that would be the best solution. Hoshi's doing okay. He seems to know I won't be home until the morning and limits his water intake. He does a good job holding it until I get home. I leave the door to the basement open just in case. I know it's unreasonable to expect him to hold his urine for that length of time.

I've thought about installing a doggie door but I need one with an app so I can operate it from home (lock/unlock). I can watch him on the surveillance cameras. My neighborhood isn't safe enough to leave him in the backyard alone. I've thought about a pet sitter to come and let him out but were talking about 10-11pm at night. One of my co-workers has offered keep him while I'm at work but I'm not sure about that...what if he gets out and lost (in a strange neighborhood). I've also considered providing an area in the basement where he can potty on doggie pads. Training him to go inside is going to take some time and may present other problems.

There's only one neighbor I would trust to let Hoshi out--she loves him. I haven't asked her yet. I know it would be hassle and I certainly would pay her.

Manuel I hope you do get your 8 hour shifts. I think if it were me, I would train Hoshi to use a pee pad in the basement if he needs to go while you
are at work. I'm sure you will figure out whats best for you both. :paws:

I might go with the neighbor...it's a tough call. Perhaps you could get a dog litter box if you have to use a pee pad....it might help the dog target the pee pad (and avoid unwanted associations).

I think that I would provide pee pads in the basement just in case but it isn’t that unusual for dogs to be able to hold it for 12 hours overnight. Plus mine sleep at night. My two don’t drink during the night so as long as you let Hoshi out before you leave, have potty pads for emergencies, and it’s night, I’m sure he’ll do fine.

I've been thinking about you for a while. Were you able to rearrange your work schedule or find some other workable option?

Not yet but thanks for asking. I requested 8-hour shifts but no reply from my manager. I just sent her a reminder. I requested working every other day in the mean time. Working 3 12-hour shifts in a row is hard for Hoshi because I'm either at work or sleeping. I'm hoping working every other day will help. Not sure if they'll approve my request.

I feel for you, Manuel. Your concern for Hoshi shines through your posts and it shows how much effort you put into honoring that relationship.

Thanks. I like hearing about others' pets too and wonder how they are doing.

I bought a Petcube monitor for Hoshi. I noticed he stays in the bedroom or possibly computer room all night long. Around 5-6 am he comes out to the kitchen (I come in that way) to see if I'm home yet. He ignores the Petcube's laser while I'm gone. He does play with it when I'm home.

My 2 both sleep in the kennel by the garage door all day long. The door is off of the kennel, but that is where they sleep and wait.
They also don't drink or eat when we are not at home.
The funny thing is, even if we are both at home on the weekend, around 4:30-5pm they will go downstairs to watch the garage door :rolleyes:

So the granddaughter's first birthday party was last weekend and the tasks of wrapping the presents fell to me. I took the easy way out and went the route of gift bags and tissue paper. Fiona was delighted and "helped" me--wanted to see what was in the bags, found the tissue paper to be fun and was intrigued by all the fancy bows, etc. Finally finished, I hauled all the baby's birthday loot to the car and left. This is the day of the week that I usually take Fi on errands and she was devastated to be left at home. My sister said that she sat by the refrigerator with her nose pointed at the door with a tragic look on her face for two hours. (This weekend, it was back to business as usual, I had errands and Fiona came with me and of course we went to the park for an extended run and play session).

Poor Fiona. I’m glad you made it up to her with a special play session.

Fiona sounds like a doll, and, they are supposed to be spoiled! Pye is the only dog I have ever had that I raised from a puppy, all of our others have
all been rescues, the youngest we adopted was Pogo who was under a year old. To tell you the truth, Pye can be a spoiled monster also!! Oh but do
I love him:heart::heart:

Sounds like the "help" Callie gives me when I put out hay. I took a video of it the other day. Is there a way to post it on here?

Sounds like the "help" Callie gives me when I put out hay. I took a video of it the other day. Is there a way to post it on here?
You can upload the video to Youtube, Instagram (pretty much any major site) then paste the share link in your post on our forum. The video should automatically appear. If not, I'll fix it so it does.

Back